Master Cylinder: things I was very afraid of as a small child

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/11/master-cylinder-things-i-was.html

5 Likes

I can’t bring myself to watch a Hong Kong Phooey clip. In my heart I know it’s going to be absurdly racist and I’d rather keep those old vague memories happy.

6 Likes

This gave me a twinge of panic. Not because Master Cylinder was the first evil cartoon villain for me, but it was the first evil automotive villain.

7 Likes

The Master Cylinder was quite sinister for a young child, but the Felix writers must have been howling with laughter when they came up with him.

10 Likes

I always found Babar the elephant to be particularly creepy and vaguely sinister. Everything depicted in those books had a sort of nightmarish quality to them. It confused me that I was supposed to like it.

6 Likes

Great. Now I want a Master Cylinder figure with an lcd for the eyes.

6 Likes

@jlw, when I saw “Master Cylinder” in the title I knew this was gonna one of your posts… but that was because I thought it’d be about the master cylinder in one of your vehicles!

Ironically, Hong Kong Phooey allegedly had a “a car that just won’t stop” :wink:

4 Likes

I can completely see how creepy a big evil cylinder would be to a little kid, yikes!

The scariest thing to me was one of the bad guys on the Spider-Man segment of The Electric Company – a guy named Dr. Fright whose face was so ugly he covered it with a hat and would show it to people to freeze them in terror. I was so scared of seeing his face I made my parents cover the TV with a blanket.

10 Likes

Somehow, I never watched Felix when I was a kid… but the number of times I’ve paid for master cylinder as an adult? The stuff of nightmares.

7 Likes

Holy crow! I tried to get my family to name our dog “Master Cylinder” in the early 80s, to no avail (they named her “Buffy” instead). I haven’t thought about this character in years!

7 Likes

As a SMALL child:

1. The picture of a flourishing, Hawaiian coral reef (in our encyclopedia). I could look at it (still, with some dread of its eerie buzz), but I always failed when daring myself to simply touch the picture.

2. Dark, winding staircases and damp, granite-walled basements.

3. Having dreams involving 1930s cartoon characters and settings.

4. The occasional appearance of my baby-sister’s ‘Suzy Q’ doll (walking and staring) in my dreams. (Once, I got a dream 3 and 4 mashup.)

7 Likes

A child in my extended family had nightmares about Swiper the Fox. In the dream they were saying, “Swiper no swiping!” over and over, but swiper would not stop swiping!

10 Likes

Same here. The name was especially clever.

(The deus ex machina solution at 5:08 [expected of cartoons back then] was worthy of George Lucas!)

2 Likes

Huh, never saw a Felix cartoon. At least not one in color.

I thought it was a frisky dingo reference

3 Likes

For me, it was the Muni Mula men from the Ruff 'n Ready cartoons.

Frisky Dingo… that’s a name I haven’t heard since…

4 Likes

I recall a black and white Felix cartoon… would have been about 1965.

Felix was having trouble setting up a beach chair, and the way it was animated and choreographed, that beach chair came across as positively sinister to my young mind.

4 Likes

0:13 Ripley handling the Alien
0:22 The Death Star

2 Likes

I’m just going to leave this here:

13 Likes