Mayor says town seal depicting white man strangling Native American is a "friendly wrestling match"

this was an extremely accurate depiction of a martial art practised in the colonies at that time and which, unfortunately, fell into disuse when it became illegal to strangle people for sport.

4 Likes

Dude…

There is no “town seal depicting white man strangling Native American” and that make’s this a non-news story.

Mm hmm.

To funny.

To funny is TO LIVE!

4 Likes

Bloody hell, America. Just…seriously.

4 Likes

I don’t know. In neither image does it look to me like anyone is being strangled.

I think the more pertinent question is why does Whitesboro, NY have such a lame ass town seal?

Maybe the colonist is… helping the guy up? Welp, time to go apply for Paula Deen’s Social Media Manager position.

7 Likes

“Whoa buddy, I think you’ve had one too many. C’mon, let’s get you home.”

On second thought that actually could still be kind of racist since it plays into the image of Native Americans as alcoholics.

1 Like

Maybe the explanation isn’t that controverted. I see a baptism. The priest is pulling the native out from the water:

2 Likes

That would be much much worse! :tired_face:

One can’t even begin to count the number of indigenous cultures have been destroyed because they were sublimated by people saving them from their “primitive ways”. So sad.

Depicting killing an individual is bad enough, depicting killing a way of life and ultimately an entire people with their rich culture and heritage is something much more insidious.

3 Likes

Damnit, you made me watch his video again… And he is a damn fine dancer.

2 Likes

Is there even any Native American syncretism in mainline protestant churches/evangelical churches? If there is, it’s not obvious to me. Although in cubscouts there kinda was, with the whole combo Native American/Jungle Book theme they had the pre-boyscouts adhere to in their pseudo-religion.

I mean, a lot of European Pagan traditions got to live on (albeit bastardized) in christian syncretic rituals (xmas and easter and bible-halloween-abuse-the-children-with-spaghetti-abortions anyone?)

1 Like

Interesting question. And it reminds me, though a bit off your topic, of when people tell me they’re into “Native American spirituality.”

“Oh really! Which one?”

4 Likes

Well, yeah. But seriously, saying “I’m spiritual, but not religious” is one of those meaningless phrases like “I enjoy popular music” or “food is often what I eat for dinner”. I’ve never encountered “spirituality” that asserts anything testable, so it usually goes on the religion pile in my brain.

But yeah, I remember when I was a kid in the pre-boyscouts (cub scouts) we had a few kids who were Native American, and their parents would come and tell us the Tlingit legend of Storm Boy and the Orcas.

2 Likes

You know…the one with the dream catchers and sage smudge sticks and crystals!

4 Likes

I think it’s wrestling. There is a legend or historical account of the town’s founder wrestling with a Native American, winning the contest, and gaining his respect.
Acknowledging that Native Americans are people whose respect must be earned does not seem all that racist to me.

1 Like

The person who designed the original version of the seal obviously had watched and patiently observed a friendly wrestling match. The person who drew the the cartoon version obviously hadn’t. The big difference is between the two is the arms, if you ask me.

In the original seal, the wrestlers’ hands are grasping the upper arms, which are straight, in a defensive reflex. In the cartoon version, the hands are, ahem, resting on the shoulders. Obviously never wrestled. Sigh.

Nope, not racist, just really, really, really badly drawn.

/ Did wrestle in High School.
// Not to mention: the Native American’s head is nearly twice the size of the white guy’s. Amateur.

2 Likes

Did BB generate this story or post a link to it?
Again, I never said this was a news site.

That amount of stupid you suffer from must be painful.

/Good day

I no longer regret the day I called city hall and asked if I had reached the town of Blacksboro, and when I was told, “No, it’s Whitesboro” I said “Oh, sorry, wrong pimple” and hung up.

3 Likes

At first glance you’d think this was taken from The Onion, but no. . . .

2 Likes

Or maybe now Whitey is pulling the hapless Native American out of the water, saving him from drowning, and his primitive way of life. Now we can all get along.

2 Likes

Kinda Racist? Try Diet Racism!

1 Like