McConnell warns he will intervene in 2022 GOP primaries "if necessary"

Meanwhile, whether or not he’s talking about interfering with pro-Trump primary candidates or not, he’s just as evil as ever:

10 Likes

“There’s no question that in order to win … you have to appeal to the general election audience,”

So…he will intervene if there are ANY republican candidates? Since none of them can win in a general election without gerrymandering and voter suppression

5 Likes

also, such a telling word.

democracy doesn’t have citizens who participate. it has an audience who watches as the elites duke it out.

11 Likes

What’s insidious here? By “intervene”, he means give funds and logistical aid to favor a different candidate, right? If you are high up in a political party, it’s your duty to “intervene.”

But he won’t need to intervene. QAnon candidates win. It’s only the Roy Moores (who won’t step down when they are revealed to be QAnon and pedophiles) that become a problem, and they aren’t all that numerous.

And meanwhile Justice Breyer has no plans to resign. RBG and Breyer will kill us because they refused to believe that the country has turned.

4 Likes

The morally bankrupt Yertle is saying what he’s always shown, a flagrant disregard for whose boots he licks as long as it facilitates his career of undermining American democracy.

5 Likes

It wasn’t their job to time their retirements to ensure their replacements would be selected by a sane President. Their job was to make rulings in accordance with their interpretation of the Constitution for as long as they were willing and able to do so.

Ensuring that their replacements would be appointed by a sane President was our job.

11 Likes

This is true, but I reserve the right to have celebratory drinks anyway if we’re rid of him via the Reaper before the ballot box

1 Like

He is probably overestimating his sway; but I wouldn’t count out someone with ample minority government experience and the backing of everyone on board with the “stop saying the quiet part out loud, idiots, I’m trying to push it into law here…” position; rather than the “what do you mean owning the libs isn’t a strategy?” camp.

That said, I suspect that redistricting to both neutralize potential democratic voters and try to keep the hardest-core nutjobs from being overrepresented in the primaries is a challenging task that requires careful demographic analysis and years of personal coaching from the good Mr. Jerry Mander.

That’s absolutely true, and RBG did her duty. But it’s not like she didn’t have a clear preference on who would get to replace her:

If she was completely principled and consistent on the idea that a Justice should not be strategic or involved in any way about their own replacement she wouldn’t have made that “fervent wish” public. But it’s also possible that Ms. Spera publicized the wish against her will, I suppose.

As you’ve suggested before, the best answer is to change the system to end lifetime terms and have each justice serve a term of 20 years or so in order to take these political considerations off the table, so that Presidents don’t keep trying to confirm younger and younger justices to maximize their legacy, and also not pressure people to keep serving well into their 80s just because they don’t like the current president.

4 Likes

Oh, I’d be right there with you, if I drank. Maybe a two-scooper at the local bespoke ice cream joint instead for me. Hell, ice cream for the house.

4 Likes

Move out of this terrible terrible country.

So who died and made him God-Emperor of the planet? Primary him out.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.