Mitch McConnell promises to vote for Trump in 2024, after saying Trump was responsible for the Capitol Hill riot

Originally published at: Mitch McConnell promises to vote for Trump in 2024, after saying Trump was responsible for the Capitol Hill riot | Boing Boing

10 Likes

the naked gun facepalm GIF

30 Likes

(insert shocked not shocked.jif)

10 Likes

Of course he did. I’m not sure why anyone expected anything else. Mitch McConnell is a survivor. The political machine he has in Kentucky ensures that the only way he’ll be out of office is if he decides to or dies. His grip on local Republican politicians is as tight as it gets. For a decade he brought big-time pork to the state [the continuous repaving and lane extension of I-65 from border to border is one good example; beautifully-paved rural state roads are another] that pushed money into people’s pockets. I met local party bosses in the coal mining eastern counties who would talk about universal health care, union rights, and social safety nets, and then explain the ® next to their name by saying “Oh, well, you can’t get elected as a Democrat around here.”

Mitch knows this. He knows how to run the machine. Democrats have run great campaigns against him, with great candidates. He’s hardly had to lift a finger to win. He is a survivor. Saying he’d vote for Trump is not only expected, it’s meaningless. If Kentuckians turn against Trump, so will Mitch.

22 Likes

It’s going to be more cowardice and opportunism – wall-to-wall – at this weekend’s CPAC convention. If you can stand to be locked in a steady cringe you’ll witness the clear and undeniable intellectual and moral bankruptcy of American movement conservatism in 2021.

22 Likes

Words of fealty found to be insufficient. Mitch still considered RINO by Fox News.

4 Likes

That’s three years for the ravages of nature to take their toll on one or both of the elderly, corpse-looking bastards before this promise can be fulfilled. I shall carefully avoid wishing violence, but I think wishing the natural progression of time and decay proceeds as per usual will still keep me in the good graces of our community standards.

11 Likes

He just regenerating.

9 Likes

First time I’ve agreed with these two.

8 Likes

This statement is false.

9 Likes

And Trump responded with “Mitch is a dour, sullen, and unsmiling political hack, and if Republican Senators are going to stay with him, they will not win again.”

So of course it makes total sense that they are besties again.

6 Likes

Mitch McConnell is 79.

Trump is 74 - will be 78 in 2024.

Life expectancy is 78. something years.

I’m just saying statistical probability will work it self out hopefully soon.

12 Likes

I can’t this out of my head whenever he opens his mouth…

5 Likes

Well, only one of the two was reelected last year - for a six-year term. Mitch won (but lost his majority leader position because of 45), so I’m not surprised at anything he says or does now. He doesn’t have to care. Let us not forget, Strom Thurmond lived to be 100.

9 Likes

That’s the life expectancy for a male in the US at birth. The life expectancy at 79 is almost another 9 years. I believe it’s actually higher than that given that he’s white and high-income, but I don’t have numbers in front of me.

8 Likes

Well, the GOP claimed Trump couldn’t be impeached while not in office. Maybe Mitch just wants the opportunity to get it right? :smirk:

1 Like

I don’t see any contradiction here. When Mitch said “Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day,” he was saying it with ADMIRATION, not scorn. That tear that almost escaped his wrinkled eye was a tear of joy.

5 Likes

Which makes it all the more disgusting that he’d further debase himself for the guy who cost him the Senate and then sent a mob to murder him.

6 Likes

There’s no justice in this world. For some, the selfishness, narcissism, greed and misanthropy within them seems to drive their longevity.

10 Likes