Mitch McConnell faces boos and calls to retire in Kentucky

Originally published at: Mitch McConnell faces boos and calls to retire in Kentucky | Boing Boing

7 Likes

“Turned on Trump?” Did I miss that somehow? After helping Trump to gain power and do untold damage to our democracy this, um, “gentlemen” had every opportunity to make an impeachment successful, twice, and chose to aquit. He never opposed Trump or his agenda in any way that actually matters.

23 Likes

Yeah, his mutiny was pretty tepid.

14 Likes

Much as I can’t stand this guy, the left needs him right now. Hope he doesn’t step down until 2024.

Meh. This is Fancy Farm. It’s an annual tradition for Kentucky politicians to come out and put up with a bunch of crap and insults from people. Getting booed is pretty much how it goes there.

Elected officials and aspiring officeholders alike make the trek to Graves County in far Western Kentucky each year, where St. Jerome Catholic Church hosts the annual fundraising picnic. There, a rambunctious crowd boos, heckles and jeers its way through opponents’ speeches and waves signs and cheers in support of their chosen candidates.

And that’s last year’s write-up. It would have been weird if he wasn’t booed.

10 Likes

Well, luckily, McConnell has never taken constituents’ desires into his agenda, so he’ll probably stay in office until his carcass actually falls to pieces.

7 Likes

How so? If McConnell quit right now the Democratic Governor of Kentucky would be the one to appoint his replacement. It would be an unmitigated win for the left.

13 Likes

Explains why he just kept speaking without hesitation.

Honestly I thought it was because people jeer him ALL the time. You’d think that he’d say “I’ve enough of this sh*t” and go blank out somewhere.

6 Likes

20 Likes

Except that the Kentucky GOP lege changed the law so that the governor cannot appoint a senator from the opposing party (but I’m sure they’d change it back should a Dem somehow win a seat there). Not sure how a court challenge would land, though.

4 Likes

But isn’t that 8 graphs?

9 Likes

Damn, I just looked it up and it’s even worse than that.

So the Governor doesn’t even get to choose anyone he wants from the other party. Just the least-bad out of three options hand-picked by the opposition.

8 Likes

Is there an option to leave the seat vacant?

3 Likes

tuberville’s hold up of military nominations is only possible because of republican rules. mcconnell could fix that, he chooses not to. he’s not an ally of any sort

6 Likes

As far as I can see it says the Governor “shall” name the replacement within 21 days of receiving the list of 3 names. It doesn’t seem to spell out exactly what happens if the Governor does nothing.

2 Likes

Never said he’s an ally.

But he’s the only thing preventing the congressional MAGAheads from completely running rampant.

He retires now, y’all are in some deep guano.

2 Likes

So says Beau, at least.

2 Likes

yeah, i absolutely don’t believe that. don’t get caught up in the idea that “it can only become worse”, because that gives them all the power they need.

instead line them up one at a time, and knock them down in turn

he’s in a unique position as the minority leader of the senate. when he leaves, the senate gop’s day to day process will be disrupted and their focus will turn towards how to run their organization without him. that’s a win i’d gladly take any day.

4 Likes

That would be poetic justice.

10 Likes

7 Likes