Sen. Mitch McConnell makes long-overdue announcement: he's finally stepping down (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/28/sen-mitch-mcconnell-makes-long-overdue-announcement-hes-finally-stepping-down-video.html

9 Likes

IMG_1010

58 Likes

He’s freezing up again isn’t he?

11 Likes

Lets hope he doesn’t freeze before he can take that first step.

7 Likes

Leaving before either a Biden second term or the face eating leopards are released eh

26 Likes

He looks thin compared to the header image. I wonder if there are other health reasons why he’s going.

5 Likes

Good riddance; he has been one of the most destructive political forces of the past few decades with his entirely opportunistic reading of the Constitution and his outright obstruction of Democratic presidents.

Just because he did the right thing a few times cannot excuse his corruption of the Supreme Court appointment process and blocking of urgent legislation.

But let’s not fool ourselves that his replacement will be any better and might even be worse if you-know-who is a factor. And there is a worryingly high chance that his replacement will actually be Senate Majority leader unless the Democrats can hang on in places like Montana and Ohio.

46 Likes

Who will step up to replace him as the face of Congressional bad faith? So many choices in the GOP.

10 Likes

Let me get this straight…he will step down as leader, but is not leaving the senate?

8 Likes

maximum screwed-up-ness achieved that’ll do pig that’ll do

(yes… it should’ve been an insult to turtles not pigs)

7 Likes

Too little, too late.

13 Likes

3k9ai2557o661

8 Likes

That’s how I interpret what I read in the news articles about the announcement. IMO he ought to go that one more step and retire completely. He’s been in office for 40 years for Pete’s sake!

3 Likes

Who’s next in line for Repuglican leadership in the Senate?

2 Likes

Here’s hoping he kicks it before then so he doesn’t get to enjoy his retirement

5 Likes

As far as I can tell from reporting I think that’s correct. He still has 2 years left in his current term if he wants to stick around.

4 Likes

From The Onion, four years ago…

30 Likes

Well the current Minority Whip is John Thune, so I would think him, under normal circumstances. But we don’t live in normal circumstances, so my guess is JD Vance will take a hard run at it. And hopefully embarrass himself.

14 Likes

Yeah, he seems to be sticking around for the rest of his Senate term.

“I’m not going anywhere anytime soon.” “I’ll finish the job the people of Kentucky hired me to do, albeit from a different seat.”

It’s not clear whether he’ll run for another term, but that seems unlikely.

6 Likes

The Turtle Moves

4 Likes