McDonald’s is not terrible

Off topic response:
Ouch. McDonald’s is not terrible food. Here in Century City (Los Angeles) the McDonalds has a line going down the block. Now you’d never be able to get through the line at In N Out in time to get back to the trial, so it’s not that long. But wow, the hate for McDonalds.

If it was me getting lunch when let out of court with a timeline it would have been Sabrettes hot dogs from a cart or the gyros cart rather than McDonald’s, though.

7 Likes

I am actually a fan of the sausage McMuffin and hash browns, and I’m a weirdo who likes their coffee. But their burgers are subpar even for fast food. Given the choice between Au Cheval and McDonalds (which is farther away), which would you choose?

3 Likes

I love the sausage McMuffin! When I was growing up we weren’t allowed fast food, except when I went on a road trip with my dad we would stop off and get breakfast and coffee for him.

Also we get the iced coffee regularly rather than starbucks when we are out. When they upgraded a few years back it became much more than tolerable it had been.

I don’t know Au Cheval. What is that?

2 Likes

I don’t know the area so I did a Google maps. Looks like a decent burger. 1000% on Mickey D’s iced coffee over BurntCoffeeBucks.

Sorry for the off-topic. Can’t wait to hear the highlights of Day 2.

3 Likes

Supreme Court New York County is a 5 minute walk from Chinatown. Wo Hop is right there! (but is cash only)

6 Likes

ETA: (italics mine) Seeing what you did there…
Jeff Goldblum Perfection GIF by AbsoluteRadio

(ETA: Checks notes… yep, I’ve eaten there!)

12 Likes

Well, true enough, but only in the sense that “yogurt is not terrible construction material.” And totally off topic here.

9 Likes

And now I’m having flashbacks to Evan Dorkin’s Milk and Cheese comic strip, they smash up Wo Hop in one story and then decide to go to Grey’s Papaya instead.

3 Likes

Well, it is junk food… But at least it’s consistent. By now I know what agrees with me and what doesn’t, which is handy for grabbing a quick bite to fuel up while travelling and such.

3 Likes

I wonder if Trump would like Russian hamberders.

1 Like

She’s right about it being the same. The burger looks just like the ones I remember from the USA (I haven’t eaten there in years).

ETA: Is that a Russian version of Cinnabon at the end?

2 Likes

We haven’t eaten out since February 2020 one of the very few fast food items I miss is the sausage McMuffin with egg and hash brown.

We have learned to make them at home though, sometimes with sausage and sometimes with Canadian bacon.

10 Likes

I have nothing in particular against McD’s (their coffee is actually pretty good and not burnt-tasting like Starbuck’s), but if in NYC I get a chance to down a steamed hotdog with mustard and red onion sauce, then you will see me downing a steamed hotdog with mustard and red onion sauce.

7 Likes

… we call it “dark” :vampire:

6 Likes

If you mean dark-roasted, then that can yield “burnt”.

2 Likes

Have you tried those with Kewpie Japanese Mayonnaise? We’ve found that it’s the closest thing to Hollandaise Sauce without having to make Hollandaise Sauce.

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s delicious but I’m the least adventurous eater you’ve ever met.

Tonight I had shake and bake porkchops with ramen noodles and I was happy.

My wife and daughter will try anything and enjoy it.

I’m going to have my daughter look for that mayo at her favorite ethnic market for her mom.

2 Likes

1 Like

Around the Manhattan Courts, my go-to breakfast is a steamed pork bun and coffee with real cream at the myriad of Chinese bakeries surrounding those buildings.

Otherwise elsewhere in the city it’s usually the ubiquitous deli (or food truck) bacon and egg on a roll. Something about bacon crunch with a deli roll which works for me.

8 Likes

Sometimes you can find Kewpie mayo in Target or Walmart’s “ethnic food” sections.

3 Likes