Meat chopper is good for tofu, too

Originally published at: Meat chopper is good for tofu, too | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I could eat tofu this way every day and never get tired of it

I’m so proud of you.

6 Likes

I’m too lazy to take a lot of steps. I slice it into slabs, fry both sides; garnish with green onions; and serve with a sauce made of chili oil, soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar (black vinegar or white vinegar, no ACV).

6 Likes

I was recently researching this because Mrs Peas has developed a meat aversion lately. I remember having a veggie tamale in California that seemed to have chicken in it. They told me this was their trick. I looked it up and found that the recommendation was to use medium tofu instead of firm to get a better texture. I haven’t tried yet because they only sell firm or extra firm locally, but I thought it was worth a shot if it improved the texture. Of course, I imagine the brand you’re using is just as consequential.

Also, turns out Mrs Peas hates tofu under any circumstance so… tempeh it is!

6 Likes

Now that is awesome on the hibachi, slight sesame oil, some salt & pepper, yummy.

5 Likes

Thanks, we’ll try that as soon as our world doesn’t look like Hoth!

6 Likes

Gesundheit!

5 Likes

What we think is tofu and what the Japanese think is tofu is miles apart - bit like kombucha.
I wouldn’t consider subjecting my Japanese wife to this, but I might give it a go when she isn’t around.

2 Likes

I’m with you. Tofu is a perfectly fine food, so long as you don’t go through endless culinary epicycles in order to try and trick your palate into thinking it’s supposed to be some kind of approximation of meat.

4 Likes

And you can make MOUNDS of coleslaw too!

I break up a block of extra firm tofu into good-sized crumbs (no need to drain), marinate it in a tablespoon of soy sauce and a tablespoon of olive oil (and add some nutritional yeast if you have it).
Spread it out on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.

When it’s done, break it up and use it in veg tacos or chili, for a “I’d swear that’s meat” consistency.
Try it!

3 Likes

I do it for my meat eating sons, who say they can’t tell the difference when the tofu is covered in sauce, etc.

2 Likes

How does Mrs Peas feel about seitan?

Mrs Orange just made our first successful batch (Chicago Diner recipe) and it’s fantastic.

Damnit, I just made myself hungry for a rueben :smiley:

3 Likes

Came to report something similar. I slice it into slabs, or last time, cubes. I toss some marinade in a ziploc with the tofu overnight. My favorite mix is soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar or maple sugar, hot chili flakes/oil, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, maybe some fish sauce. You really can’t seem to go wrong.
The next day I spread the tofu out on a sheet pan in the oven for about 40 minutes at 400 (I like it to get kind of tough and chewy). It sounds like work writing it, but it’s really easy. Make the marinade right in the bag, pretty quick. And my oven has a timed cook setting, so I don’t have to pay attention.
I usually toss it into stir fry, but the last batch was so good I ended up eating half of it just like I would snack on beef jerky. Yum.

2 Likes

She’s not really into it, but I’ve had it prepared really well, so it may just be that she had poor examples. It would be fun to be able to call her a “seitanist”.

3 Likes

Hmm, that’s a great idea. What I really don’t care for in tofu that’s been seasoned is that the flavoring only goes skin deep. I actually prefer tofu plain in the right dish, but really soaking in flavor probably makes a world of difference.

I would settle for Hoth. My neighborhood looks like Canada.

1 Like

I learned about the textural changes in tofu from freezing by reading The Three Body Problem, of all things.

1 Like

That is because the author hadn’t discovered the joys of mabo tofu. Spicy meaty tofu

4 Likes

My favorite tofu dishes are not vegetarian. Mabo tofu and Soon Dobu. Soon Dobu uses anchovy broth so it can’t be vegan even if you omit a meat product.

3 Likes