Meet 2 real-life guys behind Donald Trump's "400 pound hacker" stereotype

AFAIK, that isn’t true. The fat cells are still there, they are just “deflated” (not sure what the right word is). After losing weight through diet and exercise, eating and exercising the same as other people your size will cause you to gain weight.

3 Likes

Currently, nobody knows.

The “fat cells are immortal” myth was recently disproved by carbon-14 analysis. The fat cells in your body were all created in the last ten years.

Research is ongoing… but the preponderance of evidence seems to be that for most people it really doesn’t matter if you are shrinking them or destroying them, your body is purposely maintaining a fairly rigidly defined number of adipocytes.

It does appear that getting fat before becoming an adult will screw the system up and result in the number of fat cells being set “too high”. This is one of several things that indicate childhood obesity is far worse than any other kind of obesity, and that parents who allow their children to get fat when they could have prevented it are harming their kids. But honestly that’s not set in stone either, the research is still not conclusive.

3 Likes

We need a beschizza tweet in here. Stat.

https://twitter.com/Beschizza/status/780590550160375809

4 Likes

You’re talking about this I think:

It doesn’t show what you are claiming. Fat cells are replaced, but the number generally doesn’t change.

2 Likes

This is what I said:

This is what you said:

Where is the difference?

I read a paper fairly recently that said the researchers had found one exception to the rule that number of fat cells is constant (and thus does not matter). It was claiming that a subset of obese adolescents generated new fat cells and then retained that higher number of fat cells for life. But again, all this stuff is actively being researched, and we aren’t really entirely sure what’s going on yet. Some people (with pretty much no evidence other than logic that I can see) are saying ketosis destroys fat cells, and those cells won’t be replaced until you are back on a glucose metabolism.

Oh, and also, my knowledge of chemistry is severely limited, so I am not to be considered any sort of authority! I can say that ketosis melts fat off me, but I have no idea if it’s just shrinking the fat cells or destroying them.

1 Like

I disagree with myself :). What I meant to say was that the number of fat cells can easily increase, but doesn’t seem to decrease. We are built for scarcity.

2 Likes

It also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds, OK?

I don’t see what’s wrong with that, 400 pounds is a pretty reasonable weight for a bed. Though if it’s an air mattress, that’s a bit high.

7 Likes

400 pounds is a little heavy, unless it’s maybe a four-post bed with an oak frame.

1 Like

6 Likes

4 Likes

Probably have a sand-filled mattress.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.