Meet David French, your next president

Insisting that your spouse not speak to other people, and cut off friendships, isn’t communication. It’s controlling behavior of the sort often reciprocated by ‘arrangements’ and ‘decisions’ made by weaker partners in abusive relationships. Definitely salient to the man’s credibility for political office.

18 Likes

Guy number one had his wife accuse him of raping her. Guy number two had been in love with my ex-SO for years, but I had misplaced trust in him even though I knew. He was a snake in the grass.

I personally am not paranoid. I know first hand there are predators and manipulators. But it still takes two consents to tango, regardless of if the tango was a mistake.

(The moral of all this is be emotionally supportive of your partners needs, and make sure they feel as wanted and wonderful as you can)

4 Likes

The behavior is certainly consistent with that interpretation, but if I jump to that conclusion, am I doing so because it’s a justified conclusion, or am I doing that because this guy’s a conservative and I love me some schadenfreude? I’d rather give these people the benefit of the doubt, especially where Mrs. French does seem a fairly remarkable person in her own right (and especially where it is not my natural inclination and I am trying to be a better, less judgmental person).

(There are lots of women who sincerely believe women should be subservient. I disagree with them, but to tell them that what they believe is wrong would be hypocritical if I’m going to take the position that women should decide for themselves what to believe.)

That I agree with wholeheartedly. These values are not my values, and I would not like to be governed according to these values.

4 Likes

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

1 Like

Bingo. They can live their lives as they see fit, but I sure as hell don’t want nuts like that as commander in chief.

9 Likes

Not at all. The corrupt can be bought, or will change their position if doing so can give them some other advantage. Those inspired by strong ideology are much harder to dissuade from their position.

1 Like

I’ve always believed that if you hit on - not just flirt, I flirt with people all the time, guys and gals, without the slightest intent to make a move, though I do refrain from flirting in my wife’s company out of simple respect - someone you know is in a committed relationship, you’re insulting the person you’re hitting on by impugning their own honor since your blatantly implying that you think they’re two-faced. I once assumed this was a common view since it follows inexorably from any value system that respects honesty, and most people do value honesty even if they sometimes fail to uphold that value. But almost every person I’ve explained it to seems to have never encountered it before. It can’t be that alien a concept. It’s an obvious consequence of honesty. A few years ago one lady who asked me to leave a club with her even accused me of being dishonest for not just telling her I wasn’t interested. In retrospect I probably should have just left it at I’m spoken for. But when I said that, she said she didn’t care, and I told her that was an insult to me. After two tequila shots and a gin and tonic is not the time or place to engage people in moral debates, so I shouldn’t be too harsh.

On a separate note, I’ve watched a good friend of mine go through a divorce after her husband of of eight years cheated on her with the woman who was her bridesmaid. I don’t have stats, but it seems like it’s more often someone both partners know than some stranger. And while the person with whom one partner cheats on doesn’t have a moral duty to honor the promises they didn’t make, there is a duty not to betray your friends. Plus, it’s just plain sleazy to fool around with someone who’s voluntarily in an exclusive relationship with someone else.

9 Likes
  • #1 he’s not real. Otherwise be would have renamed himself David Freedom.

• #2 I’m surprised he let her drive a car, vote, or leave the house without a male relative…

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.