Meet the Philanthropic Vampire Courts of Texas

What exactly are you trying to call out? Like if you are saying that claiming to actually be a vampire is bullshit … Uh… No joke. But they can enjoy their fetishes. It’s really no problem for me so long as I don’t have to join in.

If it’s the fashion then I don’t get your point. They have built a community around a certain aesthetic. How is it bullshit if it is working as intended?

17 Likes

Precisely.

Rational people surely realize that it’s not actually possible to sustain life on a diet of only blood (or psychic energy) but if these folks wanna inhabit a fantasy lifestyle, as long as they aren’t hurting anyone, then who am I to judge?

Live and let live, life is too fucking short.

16 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

Right? Are they consenting adults? Are they hurting anyone or forcing anyone to participate? Are they harming the larger community in some real way? No? We good! Let their freak flag fly!

17 Likes

I love that he is the vampire who drains other vampires. So his roommates are always thinking “is Colin Robinson trying to tell us something or just trying to drain us?”

4 Likes

Came to check this was referenced - very pleased to find it is the first post. Well played. Carry on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sociology a STEM subject? I wouldn’t grant anyone with a sociology qualification the leeway to claim your other-humanity-based qualification is BS, to be honest.

I remember doing the one year mandatory intro sociology course for my mixed degree forty years ago, and it seemed almost entirely humanity-focused to me!

(Reminds me of the Beattie ad from many years ago in UK - “You get an ology, you’re a scientist”)

Yes, that is my point. This is not newsworthy, it’s bullshit. As is “psychic energy”, subsisting solely on blood, or or whatever other non-verifiable “facts” were peddled in the story.

The blowback here was predictable, and I can’t ignore the fact that I have real work to do which likely prompted me to reply in the first place.

In regard to dumping on non-stem fields, the Sokal hoax damaged PM and PPM (and all the other acronyms) discourse, and gave the right ample evidence to shut down and attack the left. But the fact remains that a lot of it was/is complete bullshit and needed/needs to be called out. LIke an academic study of “vampires” would be. Some of you are upset that your bull is being gored - that is what happens. It is going to continue to happen when you allow bullshit to thrive in your field.

Lastly, I’m not trying to shut these “vampires” down, in reality I am probably making them feel good by calling out their bullshit. They would be hugely disappointed if nobody noticed.

Perhaps you could start the Van Helsing Society?

9 Likes

People aren’t upset - they just think you’re being a wet blanket over someone’s bowling league.

19 Likes

How… Many of us do you imagine believe in vampires?

17 Likes

Not me; my avatar is a metaphor, as well as a running gag.

17 Likes
6 Likes

Best Van Velsings in order of awesome:

1. Peter Cushing
  2. Anthony Hopkins
  3. Edward Van Sloan
  4. Richard Benjamin
1 Like

I was not saying it’s a STEM field, I’m saying it’s part of the category of NON-STEM fields. They are now all considered illegitimate fields of study by the right (and apparently lots of people NOT on the right), because they no longer prop up the notion the inherent superiority of “great” white men. It’s disappointing that some here would buy into that garbage line of thinking. The production of knowledge about how the world works outside of the natural sciences matter. How humans make our social world matters. Not understanding those things and not studying those fields only contributes to general ignorance about the variety of human societies on our ever shrinking planet. At best is leads to various kinds of ignorant and bigoted behavior. At worst, it can lead to violence aimed at people who don’t look, think, or act like “us” for whatever value that is. Our world is smaller, meaner, and less interesting when people who don’t look or act like the “mainstream” of a society get derided, bullied, and marginalized.

discovery-Lorca-okay

ds9-sisko-eyeroll|nullxnull

10 Likes

Good. I thought you maybe were implying that it was, by referring in contrast to “the rest of us with phds in non-STEM fields”. Sorry I misunderstood.

Certainly some (cannot think who) might have inferred that from the way it was phrased. Glad we agree on this point, and frankly the right can go fuck themselves seeing as they are both
a) against non-STEM humanities fields for the reasons given, and
b) anti-science (STEM) in general because it tells them truths that do not reconcile with their fantasy-world view
…leading one to conclude they simply want to (and do) live in a self-defined world of utter ignorance and denial of reality, and leaving us hoping against hope that it will bite them hard in the arse sooner rather than later. (But not holding our breaths.)

1 Like

If I said something that was unclear, please ask me to clarify instead of putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

5 Likes

I just meant “ironically” in that the Temple is, ostensibly, a “Temple,” fulfilling the role of a traditional place of worship, i.e., a church.

4 Likes

Portlandia: The Goths Go Shopping

Special bonus episode: Portlandia: The Goths Go To The Beach

5 Likes

About 7% of Americans and 29% of Britons

4 Likes

‘How many people commenting on this thread,’ I believe that was the actual question being asked, as signified by the qualifying word “us.

9 Likes