Megyn Kelly endears her fans by trying to shame Naomi Osaka

Originally published at: Megyn Kelly endears her fans by trying to shame Naomi Osaka | Boing Boing

15 Likes

You can take the (mean) girl out of Fox News, but…

24 Likes

Megyn Kelly? MTG Lite with more Faux News tossed in.

27 Likes

Calling Kelly a “mean girl” is an insult to Mean Girls; even Regina George was capable of self reflection, growth and changing for the better…

36 Likes

I’m surprised she didn’t work in a “P. S. Santa’s still white” into her tweets.

Also, thanks to Jeff Zucker for encouraging this by paying her nearly $40 million to shill her race theories on mainstream tv for 2 years. We totally ended up better as a society for that decision.

27 Likes

Yeah. Proudly deplorable spite spewer works better for me. Maybe throw in “hate-spreading” too.

20 Likes

An oldie but a goodie works for my ideal description of Kelly:

18 Likes

Who the fuck is megyn kelly again?

38 Likes

34 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, social anxiety manifests in social situations and has degrees of scale. There’s quite a difference between 20-odd people at a photo shoot, and almost 15k at Wimbledon.

42 Likes

Everything else aside, Naomi Osaka looks very good on that cover. Glad she felt non-anxious enough for the photo shoot!

11 Likes

Why does one situation cause more anxiety than another? I dunno but I suspect that’s what makes it a disorder rather than a rational fear.

21 Likes

The amount of scrutiny, I suppose. It’s an irrational fear that people are judging you, yes?

On one hand, you’re posing, the photographer is not yelling at you (hopefully), whereas at Wimbledon, the eyes of the world are upon you in that moment.

17 Likes

Also, who is she to demand that Osaka explain herself at all? Athletes and artist of every stripe have refused to participate in the public flogging of press conferences, especially if they’re people of color who are sick of the coded race-baiting they have to endure.

35 Likes

Being put on the spot in any way shape or form is pretty intimidating. At a photography studio you are there hanging out for a while with a few people getting comfortable and eventually you take some pictures.

World of difference really.

Plus good professional portrait photographers are usually skilled at making people comfortable because it’s a necessary skill in order to do their jobs.

29 Likes

Not wanting to appear in press conferences seems perfectly rational to me. The press wants to tell their stories, not the athlete’s story, so why engage with them?

15 Likes

True. But my point is simply that what triggers anxiety is often attacked in the way Kelly is attacking it, by trying to point out a logical inconsistency. This is at its heart an ableist attack on the nature of mental illness.

29 Likes

Point taken. This is some bullshit on multiple levels.

14 Likes

WTF does social anxiety have to do with posing for a cover? You meet with and are comfortable with a photographer and there is only a few other people helping with lights, wardrobe, etc. It is a bit different than answering questions to a crowd of people.

Not that sport interviews are very productive. No wonder she skips it. They pretty much all boil down to.

“How did you think you did doing that thing with the ball?”

“Well, um, I think I did good with that thing with the ball. I was trying to do that thing with, uh, the ball and I tried hard and, uh, hopefully the next time I do that thing with the ball, I’ll do even better.”

“What about the time you didn’t do that thing with the ball?”

“Well, uh, um, sometimes doing that thing with the ball is hard, but, uh, I will just keep working hard with, uh, doing that thing with the ball and next time we, uh, should come out on top.”

It doesn’t help that right after a game people are tired and often coming down off adrenaline highs.

Even worse is RIGHT AFTER a game, when they are out of breath and sweating. With the dumbest questions like, “How do you feel after winning/losing the game?”

“Uh, I feel really good/bad about winning/losing the game. But that’s the game, y’know, some times you, uh, win/lose. And next time we hope to get out here and win again/instead.”

21 Likes

I think ‘sewer’ almost works better. Shit for brains and shit-spewing mouth. A sewer.

12 Likes