Melania Trump's convention speech plagiarized from Michelle Obama

Wouldn’t surprise me. I knew someone who basically got through college that way.

6 Likes

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching the short-fingered-vulgarian’s dumpster fire campaign, it’s that

the rules don’t apply to him.

How that’s been allowed to happen, I don’t know.
But it’s not great to see something like Steve Jobs’ “reality distortion field” used for this level of evil.

10 Likes

I’m wondering how many other references are lurking in that speech.

10 Likes

This is what happens when your speech writer spends all night doing cocaine and strippers and wakes up with 3hrs before needing the speech done.

“Let see… Google.com. Search ‘first lady speeches’. Copy, paste, change some words around, and done! Good enough for government work.”

15 Likes

Or maybe when your speech writer is a very clever mole.

13 Likes

I am confident that those people do not even know that plagiarism is wrong. I really do not think that they have any sort of set moral rules, like most of us live by.

That is just the kind of people that the Trumps are.

4 Likes

Normally yes, maybe. But this isn’t a good thing for them. And it was only day one. More disasters to are likely to follow.

2 Likes

It is theoretically possible even if there are only two monkeys. Unlikely but possible. But in this case there is only one monkey, and it isn’t Michelle Obama.

(Allowing for punctuation and requiring only lower case, three trillion is actually quite a small number. Only 9 characters are needed to create more than 3 trillion possibilities. By the time you get to an entire sentence the probability of two monkeys agreeing letter for letter is already very small. But for no length of text is it theoretically impossible to get two identical copies, it’s just that before long the probability becomes less than 1/number of particles in the known universe.)

3 Likes

12 Likes

That person has never cast a fishing pole before…

5 Likes

10 Likes

Bob Loblaw

Given his convention speech, that’s…prophetic!

7 Likes

…and I got from Trump University apparently. It seems that I may have spoken too soon on this topic.

5 Likes

Yes, some of the words are the same. In the same order. In a manner that assembles into paragraphs.

13 Likes

https://twitter.com/losowsky/status/755254028607553536

12 Likes

But this isn’t a good thing for them.

Of course it is. How do you think Trump has made it to the point where he has a very good chance of becoming President? You think some speech controversy is going to hurt him when mocking Senator McCain’s war record didn’t?

The Trump machine needs publicity and BoingBoing is more than happy to help out.

Come on, people. This changes NOTHING.
People that are into Trump weren’t turned off by his homophobia, racism, fear mongering, sexism, misogyny, or any other of the vile and horrid things he’s said and done. Why would you think a little plagiarism would put them off at all?

18 Likes

Meh. Not all bad news is good news.

6 Likes

At least you spoke for yourself, using your own words!

16 Likes

According to the AP, the similar sections are 93% identical. Sure, it could be coincidental, but I think @mister44’s version of events is closer to the truth. Google, copy, paste, wangle around, and figure nobody will bother checking.

That said, plagiarizing a speech is like the 5000th least gross thing that happened at the RNC yesterday.

33 Likes