Melania Trump's convention speech plagiarized from Michelle Obama

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/19/melania-trumps-convention-sp.html

2 Likes

THE ABSOLUTELY BEST ONE!

41 Likes

I don’t know. It’s a pretty generic message that could be heard in any political speech. Some of the words are the same but I don’t really think it’s as damning as the side-by-side video where Amy Schumer is accused of stealing jokes.

Surprised? Anyone?

3 Likes

another false bottom and there is always worse to come.

10 Likes

remember in first grade when “writing” a report meant hand copying the encyclopedia entry? - don’t tell me i’m the only one - by that standard she “wrote it herself” - sad!

7 Likes

i dunno, if you gave typewriters to 3 trillion monkeys, it is theoretically possible that two of them will type the same letters.

10 Likes
26 Likes

It gets better:

41 Likes

I am so sorry for quoting this guy:

Yes, Melania Trump's speech plagarized Michelle Obama. The speech writer should be fired. See this: https://t.co/9aMslgvvc3

— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) July 19, 2016

But if the former editor of RedState calls you out on it… oh the dissonance.

10 Likes

I am confident that those people do not even know that plagiarism is wrong. That is just the kind of people that the Trumps are. I really do not think that they have any sort of set moral rules, like most of us live by.

23 Likes

The Trumps are soooo good at playing the media.

5 Likes

I am confident that those people do not even know that plagiarism is
wrong. That is just the kind of people that the Trumps are. I really do
not think that they have any sort of set moral rules, like most of us
live by.

25 Likes

You also have to wonder, right? Like, the similarities between the speeches are striking, but it’s not word-for-word, as if someone decided to use the same speech but change it just a little. You could almost imagine someone rubbing their hands with glee hoping that the media would make a big deal of the plagiarized speech when they could say, “It’s not the same!” and their base would eat it up.

On the other hand, you also have to wonder if the people who wrote this speech believe in some made up rule like if you change every third word it’s not plagiarism.

16 Likes

Maybe Melania’s speech was designed to pull focus away from the racist sh!tshow erupting from the RNC. It worked.

7 Likes

Trump takes his cues from Nixon. “If I do it, then it’s not wrong. If people say it’s wrong, they are losers who are clearly jealous of my success.”

13 Likes

It should also be acknowledged that she plagiarized Rick Astley.

13 Likes

You clearly have an advanced degree in Derpology.

9 Likes

Perhaps whoever wrote it figured that nobody listening would ever have listened to a single word spoken by Michelle Obama, so it was pretty safe.

Anyway, she has “Melania” in her name, there’s black appropriation right there.

8 Likes

Did Michelle establish this as the go-to stock speech for potential first ladies, the way 1 Corinthians is the stock speech for wedding officiants when they have no better ideas?

9 Likes