Menopoly: female lead missing from Star Wars Monopoly game

A couple of things…

first, not to be a stickler; however, there is no Tie Fighter pilot piece. Its Luke, Finn, Ren, and Vader. Am I being nit picky here…yes. When it comes to things like Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR, etc…you do need to be precise.

second, when did Monopoly become a 4 player only game? Seems this a new concept and departure from the previous incarnations of the board game.

third, why would any game design decision be to make only four game tokens, even if the board game itself was for 2-4 players? one would think providing additional pieces would in fact be of little extra cost in the production, but also a player/consumer satisfaction win for giving options for players.

fourth, if Rey was in every single trailer, and clearly marketed as a primary character, how would it have spoiled anything about the plot line having her be a token in the game?

lastly…one can easily point out that what game token you use in a board game is not representative of YOU. the pieces could have been solid block colored tokens like in Sorry…would someone decry the game because Purple wasn’t a color choice? My point is like with all these things, it is clearly a moronic choice if they actually thought about “What characters should we include as game pieces” to exclude the primary female lead in the film; but I would more believe simply that no one even thought about it that deeply. They may very well have put 12 names in a freaking hat and those 4 are what came out first.

this all said…if it offends that highly…don’t buy the game. Simple solution.

2 Likes

It’s cool, don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll make up for it by making her the most prominent and coolest piece in the next edition:
“STAR WARS Monopoly: The Force Has Breakfast edition”

Counterpoints:

1. Rey is the main character.
  2. This crap board game isn’t the only toy where she’s conspicuously absent.
8 Likes

I am not sure “couterpointing” a point I already made is necessary. I stated she is a primary character. and also again she is the primary female character. I would argue that an ensemble film such as this one truly has one main character, especially given the amount of screen time and story time afforded the Finn character and Ren, not to mention the sheer amount of screen time for Han and Chewie. But that’s splitting hairs in any case.

She is a prominent character and should have been included; however if this is where we begin flipping our tables at a game token in a board game…well…whatever. the morons in Oregon have won.

My family got this game for Christmas and the absence of Rey was the very first thing our 6 yr daughter noticed about it. Lame. Also, I hate boring monopoly. The kids still want to play it and it’s excruciating.

6 Likes

That’s quite the spoiler, since there’s no Rebel Alliance in The Force Awakens.

Also, as others said, she’s not the female lead. She’s the lead.

This whole business is just embarrassing.

11 Likes

Not only was she barely in the film… She was SUPER LAME. “Hey, turn off the shield.” “Ok, but you’ll regret this” (they proceed to totally not regret it in the slightest).

5 Likes

The honest answer would probably have been better: “Our manufacturer in China was going to add a $1 per unit upcharge if they had to commission a female body figurine.”

1 Like

I haven’t even looked for speculation on the stories for the other 2 movies but I’m hoping that’s where she comes back and becomes more integral (trying to make them regret it). It’s a waste of a good actress to just have her be a body for the armor at the moment. it’s like having Daniel Craig play a stormtrooper…oh wait

1 Like

Yes. I hate losing at most anything, but I’ll throw a game of Monopoly faster than you can say “Second Prize in a Beauty Contest”

4 Likes

The Disney Store does have a Rey figure as part of their Elite Series of Star Wars figures and they have been selling out in most places. Now people aren’t quite sure if this has been the popularity of the character or if there is a possibility that they made fewer Rey figures because she is a female.

As for clothes they also had an blue Ray t-shirt for girls and a white/grey & orange sleep set for girls with Ray (I have a young niece who was interested, which is how I know this). Now they had this in stock in Disney stores before Christmas (at least in the Toronto area), but once again did they sell out because of popularity or less amount of stock?

I’m hoping for popularity and dreading that it’s been under ordered. Still she is going to be in the later movies and Disney should have the sales data to fix this issue in later waves of the toys or when the next movie comes out.

2 Likes

You’d think the fact that they sell out of the damn figures all the time would clue them in that there’s money to be made there, right? I also can’t figure out if they way overestimated production of Finn, or if no one is buying him, but all of the 13-14" figures they had were Finns.

4 Likes

I imagine it’s a bit of both. And if Hasbro are also still doing their ridiculous box distributions, you get 6 peg-warmer figures for every “hero” figure.

Also, it’s Has bro people. We should have seen this coming.

6 Likes

I was talking specifically about the Disney Store. They have their own line of special die-cut Star Wars figures called the Elite Series and don’t carry any of the Hasbro toys in their store. The Disney store seems to be doing a better job than Hasbro in putting together more figures and merchandise with Rey on it.

1 Like

So will Daniel Craig:

Finn was kinda lame. I’d far rather have a Rey figurine than a Finn.

7 Likes

Update: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/05/star-wars-monopoly-game-adding-rey

6 Likes

Lowest BrickLink prices for Force Awakens minifigs:

Phasma $19.44
Kylo Ren $17.66
Maz Kanata $17.27
Han $11.83
Finn $9.30
BB-8 $8.60
Poe $8.00
Tasu Leech $7.50
Hux $7.06
C-3PO $6.50
Rey $5.34

Whether this reflects a lack of demand or a relative abundance of supply, or both, I’m not sure – but only a couple of the unnamed officers/pilots/troopers are cheaper than Rey.

(I bought a Rey, and also a Galadriel.)

2 Likes

g-d dammit, I liked your entire post until I got to the last line. Which could be read as a “boycott the product!” call to action, or a dismissal of complaints. Because they can buy other Star Wars merchandise for their girls that feature Rey, right? I mean, not at Disney Stores, but… uh… somewhere? Hopefully? Maybe if we complain about it a bit?

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the existence of that website. I’ve never sought out such a thing, but glad to know there’s an alternative to the fairly spotty Lego store.

That said, you’re equating the current low ‘value’ of a Rey Lego minifig to what, exactly?

@manybellsdown: Not even a nonpology, eh? Nice.

TOTALLY!! TTTTTOOOOTTTAAAALLLLYYY!!! She got the neato suit and obviously is not the average drone/nobody, and yet she’ll turn off the shielding with a little, “Yeah but you’ll regret it” and nothing else? That was crap leadership of the first order!

2 Likes