Mexico City judge gives two people permission to enjoy recreational cocaine with impunity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/21/mexico-city-judge-gives-two-pe.html

3 Likes

I saw the headline earlier but didnt know this was specific to just two people. Perhaps they’re considering this a “trial run” to see what their recreational usage is like and what might happen? I don’t know

1 Like

Reminds me of the Ads in GTA V for legalizing Medical Cocaine

1 Like

they are also not allowed to take the drug in public, in the presence of children, or encourage others to consume it."

Yeah … that is strictly the purview of judges, I suppose.

2 Likes

snort! Don’t do this, guys! Hahahah. Seriously. Heh.”

4 Likes

OK, sure, why not. Let’s legalize all of it. I think I’ll take public health issue over fueling violent crime.

15 Likes

This polciy does seem to be working for Portugal. Kinda weird that Mexico might try it, but gawd knows that they know that something must be done.

10 Likes

Sound judgement like this is hard to find nowadays.

4 Likes

I’m not clear on where they’re supposed to get the cocaine. Is there a government-run dispensary or something? If not then it seems like you’re still left with the drug cartel violence problem.

4 Likes

“I actually don’t like getting high off the stuff I just really like how it smells.”

5 Likes

timeline
a sample:

1600s
Coca first introduced to Western culture. Western culture is forever grateful. Especially people who make small mirrors and little plastic bags.
Coca tinctures first used in throat surgery. Later abandoned when patients babble on endlessly about how REALLY interesting everything is.
Cocaine alkaloid first isolated by the German chemist Friedrich Gaedcke, who held wild swinger parties, and initially named it “erythroxyiine”. Name tests poorly with focus groups who call it “boring and unpronounceable”, and is changed to “cocaine”.
1860s
Queen Victoria of England discovers cocaine and spends the decade in hiding, snorting rails and banging ha Scottish manservant Manservant reports difficulty climaxing.
Cocaine wine goes on sale in France. National God complex reaches a new high.

6 Likes

Cocaine’s a hell of a drug.

2 Likes

BRB, packing for a trip.

apparently, coca leaf is akin to hemp: A divine gift to horticulturalists, and unfairly maligned by greedy multinationals.

3 Likes

It’s a start. You’re right we’d need to also work towards decriminalization for the growers/refiners.

4 Likes

14 Likes

Just another progressive stance on the decriminalization of the hard stuff, strongly “encouraged” by your friends Los Zetas.

Seems reasonable.

Seeing how drugs have been handily beating nation state adversaries in the war on drugs for some decades now it is probably a good idea to establish diplomatic relations with them.

You can’t do that without appointing some diplomats to represent you to drugs (incidentally, consular staff posted to drugs strongly prefer the term ‘experiencing extraterritoriality’ to the excessively informal ‘tripping’; good to keep that in mind if you ever want to get invited to one of the embassy parties); and those will need to enjoy diplomatic immunity in order to conform with long-held international norms of diplomacy.

6 Likes

That was amusing

I crack jokes (sorry, the fruit hung so low), but I absolutely agree. Public health > incarceration nation.

4 Likes