Michael Caine is done with this whole acting thing—kind of

Originally published at: Michael Caine is done with this whole acting thing—kind of | Boing Boing

3 Likes

How do we know he’s not just “acting” like he’s retired? :thinking:

12 Likes

Actually, his agents have made it clear that he hasn’t officially retired, he just doesn’t have any roles lined up. I suspect at least he’ll be in Christopher Nolan’s upcoming Oppenheimer biopic, maybe as a small older role like Niels Bohr or something. Yes, he’s not Danish, but apparently Oppenheimer himself is going to be played by Cillian Murphy of all people!

8 Likes

Presumbly he’s now finished renovating his various properties…

6 Likes

Not one of these films would be what they were

Sleuth, Deathtrap, Iprcress File
'70s Michael Caine is some fine Michael Caine.

That’s not really fair. It’s never polite to cite, much less view, Needing-Additional-House Michael Caine. (On that topic, same goes for Needing-Additional-House Robert DeNiro.)

5 Likes

Don’t forget Jaws: The Revenge.

“I have never seen it [the film], but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific!”

As I recall the house was for his mother.

15 Likes

…it’s all about eyes smiles and some kind of camera focus it’s very physical…

4 Likes
5 Likes

That just how very good and talented Michael Caine is!

He can deliver '70s Michael Caine in the '60s and the '80s!

8 Likes

If the guy who made films like Alfie, Get Carter, and Little Voice wants to make some crap to build a house, who can complain? One of the cool things about British actors like Caine that if even when they’re just doing schlock for a quick buck, they don’t phone it in. They do the work.

7 Likes
9 Likes

Wno can forget the greasy asshole he played in Mona Lisa? That guy was the worst.

5 Likes

I always think of The Ipcress Files, Get Carter, Alfie, Funeral in Berlin.

8 Likes

Obligatory Italian Job (the good one) gif:

theitalianjob-italian

13 Likes

What if, instead of bringing Caine’s calm panache to the Muppets, Hollywood instead chose to bring the Muppets into one of his gritty 1970s pulp action movies?

14 Likes

Without a Clue is my favorite of his. Has Ben Kingsley, too!

6 Likes

https://images.app.goo.gl/FPNSc8QGVggBQgg96

I would read what he wrote.

1 Like
5 Likes

Sleuth (Sleuth (1972 film) - Wikipedia) is one of my favorite films.

2 Likes

Favorite Caine flicks:
All the Harry Palmers (Ipcress, Funeral in Berlin, Billion Dollar Brain)

The Man Who Would Be King

A Shock to the System

Zulu

1 Like