Michael Cohen secretly taped Donald Trump talking about paying off Playboy model Karen McDougal over sex claims

8 Likes

That’s just a rationalization. He pays them to have sex with him - otherwise he could just pay them to not show up and save everyone’s time.

6 Likes

That Obama footage…featuring a rational, clearheaded, inclusive diplomat as President…hard to believe how much has changed in so short a time.
Awful as many of his policies were, I more than miss him. I miss us.

10 Likes

It used to be that the ordinariness of “truth” (as in facts) was usually considered to be a good predictor for “boring”, especially when compared to the attention more likely to be grabbed by the amazingly unlikely and fantastical (read as un-fact). Now, these days the left (amongst which I count myself to be firmly ensconced [finally got to use that word!!] thrill to the boring!!

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

A White House scandal involving secret recordings? Hrm, why does this sound familiar.

3 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-19/putin-said-to-have-made-trump-a-new-offer-on-ukraine-at-summit

3 Likes

I get the feeling Trump doesn’t realize those are a bad thing. Didn’t he invite Putin over specifically in the fall? Pretty much ensuring a repeat of this week’s news right around the election?

Pretty sure it’s a huge ethical violation for an attorney to record his clients without their knowledge.

1 Like

I’m thinking of how a couple weeks ago Cohen was suddenly saying his first loyalty was to his family and country. Once he knew Mueller had the tapes (and knowing what’s on the tapes) means he knew the bridge was already burned.

5 Likes

I doubt he’s worrying about keeping his law license at this point.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Nobody likes Trump well enough to go to prison for him. He’s a man who seeks loyalty from people but instead Trump got a lot of sleazy people who only go through the motions and ditch him as soon as he’s a liability.

2 Likes

Cohen might be able to argue that the secret taping was a necessity (perhaps, in this case, a suspicion that his client was engaging in some illegality).

3 Likes

Well I bring it up because it could impact privledge. Or at least it did on a few episodes of law and order.

Which is the level of lawyery expertise myself and Cohen seem to share.

4 Likes

I’m waiting for that to kick-in with what’s left of the republican congress.

5 Likes

For Trump, loyalty isn’t just a one way street, the very idea that HE should show loyalty to anybody else is quite literally inconceivable.

edited to add: You know, Nixon recorded his meetings because he was a paranoid person that didn’t trust anybody. Other people record meeting with 45 because they KNOW that he can’t be trusted.

8 Likes

There is a distinction between when he is acting as a lawyer (discussing litigation strategy, etc.) and other dealings he may have with the client.

4 Likes

I don’t know… one wonders if these really are ‘secret’ recordings, or instead intentionally misleading records created with Trump’s permission… You also have to wonder why the president’s team is the one revealing their existence… Perhaps to get out ahead of scandal, but also perhaps because they know there’s nothing in them… None of it makes any sense at all. I feel like John Oliver’s dubbing of the whole shebang as “Stupid Watergate” is getting more accurate all the time.

I’m not sure Cohen can actually be called Trump’s attorney. He did stuff for him, was his ‘fixer’, and was a lawyer, but if he fixed his bathtub, would that be protected under attorney-client privilege? It isn’t clear Cohen was acting as Trump’s lawyer, or that Trump treated him as his lawyer.

3 Likes

This seems rather disturbing actually, because (and I’d have to look at the law more closely) – this looks like a breach of attorney-client privilege.

Regardless of the letter of the law, the principle is that you should be able to go to legal council, and no one has a right to eavesdrop on those conversations.

I’m filing this under “hate Trump, but not the right way to go after him”. I worry that some folks hate Trump so much, they forget their own ethics and principles on the way to seeing him lose the next election.

ISTR an account of him in the 70s or 80s coming home from the disco scene with a model and then watching TV when they got to his apartment. He didn’t particularly care whether they had sex or not, but he REALLY WANTED to be seen leaving with the hottest girl in the place.

2 Likes