Michigan young Republicans apologize for Hitler/Holocaust-themed Valentine

Quite possibly, but does that absolve them? I don’t think anyone argues that they meant to advocate for another holocaust. However they did not show the approriate respect. Unfortunately whatever the consequences, they will be too mild.

8 Likes

I’ll just never, eeeeeeever get this. This is the issue you want to hang your hat on? That you can’t use a particular slur against someone??? Of the racists I know or have come into communication with, this is one of the first jewels that comes out of their mouths, and it baffles me ever time.

AM: Your people put us in chains and wholly screwed us for 350 years to build your shining city on a hill and we’re furious about it.

Dudebro: It’s not fair that you get upset when I call you a nigger.

AM: (times infinity)

17 Likes

The type that doesn’t get caught.

39 Likes

Are the intentions of the perpetrator more important than the action they committed? (Not in my book.)

20 Likes

Political youth groups linked to parties are traditionally more clueless and more extreme than the main parties, since they’re full of enthusiastic young people who tend to lack a certain perspective.

Now, the Republican party seems to be losing its mind, so it’s no wonder to see this kind of ugliness bubbling to the surface among Young Republicans.

7 Likes

I’ve beaten this dead horse about my old home enough, I need to be more positive. Coastal Michigan is really quite nice, though I’ve not made it past Mt Pleasant.

1 Like

My second thought (after utter disbelief and disgust) was "only six thousand? " then I remembered that a Holocaust denier would never use the figure of six million (even if their “love 4 u burns” that strongly.)

18 Likes

Colleges have long-been antagonistic to frats. University clubs are ostensibly protected under the 1st amendment since they’re literally a part of the university, and in most cases also receive public funding.

1 Like

You do realize that Brainspore put that text in quotation marks, he was imagining what the writer of that message may have thought, it wasn’t an opinion he holds himself.

4 Likes

And if it were not the Young Republicans, maybe this would have more legs to stand on. But as it is, in the context of the group and the political atmosphere, this is atrocious.

2 Likes

Measure twice, cut once!

You know, every part of America has it’s dimwits and dude-bros and racists. I myself try to refrain from making broad comments about how racist the South is because I know good people from Georgia and Tennessee and the Carolinas.

3 Likes

What harsh consequences do you think they deserve for the misguided and stupid mistake of one member? College is very much a time to explore and make mistakes, and they clearly apologized.

I don’t pretend to know what your motivations are, but it sounds like you’re willing to impose harsh punishment on a bunch of kids for the words of one. Don’t we routinely argue that’s unfair?

Knowing which side of the political divide BB falls on (and I’m a lefty too), I’m worried that people here want to shut down young republican groups for their ideology, and will amplify any small misdeed into an atrocity to do so.

1 Like

Allegan County – Mississippi’s Riviera!

College Republicans, in my experience, are all about being the most offensive assholes they can be.

Yeah - and the result is the lefties are the ones likely to go overboard trying to prevent hateful speech and promote tolerance, and the kids on the right… do the opposite. The College Republicans I knew in college were real-life internet trollies - before there was the web.

They were clearly trying to upset people. Best case scenario, since these were mass-printed and distributed, was that they were saying, “Look at me making fun of the holocaust - fuck you if you don’t think this is funny.” Which definitely contains antisemitism, even if that wasn’t the primary motivator.

14 Likes

Maybe it was a false flag valentine? :expressionless:

8 Likes

“Perpetrator” makes it sound like they committed a crime, not said something in monumentally bad taste. Do we know if this is a pattern from this Young Republicans group, or even the person who wrote the note?

I just think that piling righteous fury onto this group and demanding retribution for an insensitive and distasteful remark of one member is uncalled for.

I know good people everywhere I live, it doesn’t change my experiences with the bad people that many people assume are not there. The Midwest gets a pass as more wholesome and progressive than the south, but moving to Texas and working around the south flipped that understanding for me. Denying that this happened in my experience is a pretty ridiculous thing for me to do, and I specifically did not want to be negative about it again.

2 Likes

Only if you don’t know what perpetrator means.

17 Likes

You know what? Eventually, this will be a very funny joke, along with Rwanda, chattel slavery of black people in the United States, and the Rape of Nanking. Time plus tragedy, and perhaps more importantly, obscurity, really does get you to comedy. It’s true. Here’s the problem: There still live a whole bunch of people whose family tree is still missing giant branches who aren’t just black and white photographs of people anymore. (I suppose in the future, we’ll be talking about people in old-timey 2D holograms.)

Add that living memory to the fact that the group in question is inextricably connected and affiliated with an administration employing known antisemites and going out of its way to repeat preludes to atrocities and the whole thing gets a lot less funny. Humor goes hand-in-hand with context, so maybe someone does get to make Holocaust jokes… just not Republicans.

17 Likes