Mike Johnson wins House Speaker after 22 days of chaos

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

22 Likes

He’s in a “covenant marriage,” which is basically what marriage was before no-fault divorce. I’m sure he’d love to impose that on everyone else in the country, too.

Also, considering he’s almost entirely unknown, I expect some really horrific stuff to come out about him fairly soon.

10 Likes

That’s right up there with “Ministry of Peace” as far as Orwellian naming conventions go.

17 Likes

yikes.

“A covenant marriage agreement may not be dissolved, rescinded, or otherwise terminated by the mutual consent of the spouses” … couples can only get divorced on a limited set of grounds, including for adultery, if one partner committed a felony or faces imprisonment, or physical or sexual abuse.

Louisiana became the first state to pass a law to create covenant marriages in 1997, and Arizona and Arkansas later followed suit. It remains a relatively rare arrangement, with only 2% of Louisiana couples opting into it.

i’m guessing the next version of the law stations a “home resource officer” outside your door to make sure you never leave.

10 Likes

Sounds like the overwhelming majority of GOP politicians could still get divorced under these rules.

20 Likes

22 days of chaos

Beginning Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

13 Likes

Thanks for collapsing, GOP “conservatives”.

“You got out of control and you sold your soul for easy money” – Jeff Lynne

9 Likes

Sad Inside Out GIF

17 Likes
12 Likes

Holy shit! Is that legal? This sounds like imprisonment! And yes, this is the model they want to force on everyone.

13 Likes

Ending no-fault divorce is definitely on their Gilead wish list. Steven Crowder is the most prominent fascist pushing for it, after his wife wisely decided she didn’t want to be married to him anymore.

In the bad old days (which are in the living memory of most Americans over 50) one of the spouses would have to create a fake but convincing affair as grounds for fault on their part. That was a best-case scenario, one that would happen very rarely under covenant marriage.

15 Likes

Channel 9 Whatever GIF by Married At First Sight

4 Likes

This doesn’t seem like a good arrangement for either party…who wants to call themselves “unhappily married”?

8 Likes

“The useless flap of skin that is liz truss…”

– Jonathan Pie

4 Likes

Xtianists don’t see marriage in the same way we do. It’s a decidedly one-sided arrangement, and as long as the husband is happy (likely aided by some extracurricular activities) that’s all that matters.

7 Likes

My BF sent me this this morning, before that shit johnson got the nod:

I’d trust ees pupper waaaay more’n that moron johnson!

18 Likes

Trump tells people not to vote, Mike Flynn suggests there won’t be a ‘24 election, Bannon is ecstatic and now there is a trump puppet as speaker of the house.

I’d say insurrection part deux is in play.

9 Likes

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

10 Likes

Trump is bragging about being a kingmaker.

I don’t think he gave it much thought.

A kingmaker is a person or group that has great influence on a royal or political succession, without themselves being a viable candidate.

2 Likes

Except that, as far as they are concerned, adultery by the man doesn’t count as that’s just “boys being boys”. But if the woman commits adultery she’s a “lying ho who should be stoned” :cry:

5 Likes