Military Speculation

Oh in other military news…

Holy shit! That’s stockpiling for war. The deal still has to get approved but, damn.

3 Likes

Thought: nobody really knows yet just how effective first-world cyber capabilities would be in a total war.

Assume, as a not-unreasonable-hypothetical, that offensive capabilities have, in practice, heavily outstripped defence. Early in the war, just about every hackable piece of military equipment goes haywire.

What does this do to the war?

Literally none of the actual defense analysts I follow have ventured anything in this area.

Essentially repeat of above. I cant think of any defense analysts who refer to China as a superpower.

Nor are either new since January 2017.

According to whom exactly?

And consistent with his public persona since I became aware of him back in the 80s.

It is quite a big agreement but looking at the proposed delivery schedules some of which is over a decade from now, I’m not sure it can be called stockpiling for war. One notable exception might be the 180 Howitzers with estimated delivery times starting in two years.

This might be better understood as the modernization program that the current MoD Prince Mohammad bin Salman desires.

“Total war” has a very specific meaning in military terms. Adding these words is either too specific or muddying the waters of the question.

In general there is in fact lots of thought and study going into whats called the Fifth Dimension in warfare. Back in March I went to a conference largely focused on cyberwarfare and picked up some books on the subject from the Air Force Research Institute.

Not really a good assumption. The US in particular already has lots of information systems deployed in active combat & “warm” zones for years. So far no “digital Pearl Harbor”. The scenario you describe has certainly been examined.

Dont go to this guy for your scenario planning

An interesting read:

And from one POV in China:

“The first technology revolution caused World War I. The second technology revolution caused World War II. This is the third technology revolution.”

Try not to read too much into that Politico article. Thucydides is taught in lots of MBA courses and is mentioned in many books on business strategy.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.