Mississippi gave $1m of welfare money to Brett Favre for "speeches" he never made—and has just fired an investigator looking into it

I guess that explains why Tom Selleck is starring in the most fascistic copaganda I can remember seeing this decade. But really, actors are kind of quaint for Republicans now, who have moved on to reality shows.

10 Likes

overall , some residents , i am sure , are indeed fine people , fine people indeed , some

4 Likes

A man who owes his career to foreigners working in an art form deconstructing the American dream.

2 Likes

If the scandal somehow leads to the governor having to step down, they should consider this guy as a replacement.

2 Likes

Illinois would like an opportunity to prove itself here, but alas, outmatched.

1 Like

I wonder where that money will come from? The wealthy in Mississippi? Alabama? Louisiana? Even Texas or Florida?..no. If that money ever arrives it will come from the federal government, mostly laundered through blue states to support red corruption.

2 Likes

Yeah, but of course that federal money won’t be enough, either. So I imagine they’ll continue limping along with increasingly broken infrastructure, becoming a less and less attractive place to live for anyone who has any choice in the matter (which a lot of people currently living there don’t). The state Republicans will slash income taxes to try to make it appealing to rich people to live there, but low taxes really don’t motivate people to move, especially when everything else in the state is so fucked.

2 Likes

npr had an interview with the state university president because its main campus is there. and he made the same point. what students are going to want to come to the university, and what parents are going to be willing to send their kids there?

they’re raising money from alumni to build their own water system, and plan to give (sell) excess capacity the city. because what else can they do?

they already get more than they give, and it seems the state powers that be do indeed shrink support whenever they get more cash in.

that’s why the help has to come with strings: like federal highway money does. or electric grid support. but then red states (like texas with their power grid) still opt out and people continue to suffer :confused:

fwiw: the nfl made 15 billion in 2019. maybe they could become the national football & water association instead. a simple fix even if a terrible acronym.

6 Likes

Only kids from the state who can’t afford out-of-state tuition, of course. Making the state ever-more insular and cut off from the rest of the country…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.