Mitch McConnell admits he was wrong. Obama administration DID leave a pandemic plan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/15/mitch-mcconnell-admits-he-was.html

5 Likes

I hope Turtle Man is getting worried about the usual GOP lies not holding up anymore.

23 Likes

Sadly the damage has already been done.

26 Likes

Politicians are very good at creating shockwaves that are always more powerful and further reaching than any follow up explanation or retraction.

22 Likes

“They claim pandemics only happen once every hundred years but what if that’s no longer true?”

A deliberately ignorant remark, because no one claims that.

29 Likes

My guess is he just got excited and riled up hanging out with the boys and all the Trump hype, and got loose with the “blatantly lie about established fact” game. And then realized, upon reflection that this lie went way beyond “cold-hearted-game-theory-political-mastermind” lies and fully around to “this makes me look actually stupid

14 Likes

Wow, can you hear it?

The sound of frost, as hell freezes over.

Eat that sh*t sandwich Mitch, choke it down like a good boy.

11 Likes

OH shit - who can I sue for my injuries from falling out of my chair?

10 Likes

Now we have sound bites of him saying both things so you know some people are going to pick which one they want to believe.

8 Likes

We just need the “I was wrong” soundbite - to edit in after every statement he ever makes.

6 Likes

“We literally left them a 69-page Pandemic Playbook…. that they ignored. And an office called the Pandemic Preparedness Office…that they abolished. And a global monitoring system called PREDICT…that they cut by 75%,”

Ronald Klain, former Ebola response coordinator under Obama, on how they tried to prepare the incoming Trump Administration for the threat of a pandemic.

36 Likes

69 pages is way more than 144 Characters. Who’s going to read that?

23 Likes

I hate McConnell, but he is politically very smart. The anti-Obama lies will continue to circulate amongst the hardcore base which will believe it despite this admission. However the “centrists” will point to this as evidence that he cares about facts and truth so is one of the good ones. He is not. He is the most cynical fucker in DC who says whatever he thinks will help his political goals regardless of facts

35 Likes

community-a-mess-obama-trump

32 Likes

Sounds like a classic misinterpretation of a “hundred year event”.

You can get a hundred-year event three years in a row. It’s because the odds of it occuring are that. But ask any gamer about critical failure rolls and how often they can happen. Any gamer can tell you about back-to-back rolls.

But just like someone skilled with dice can roll to mitigate that, so can things be done to mitigate hundred year events. The problem being that governments (not just Conservative/GOP ones) have chipped away at those mitigations for decades, betting on the fact that nobody would notice. And we didn’t, until we needed them and they were gone.

30 Likes

See? PROOF that Obama planned this whole thing!! PROOF, I tell you! (/s, but just hide and watch. Someone will pull this exact line.)

21 Likes

“It’s a million-to-one chance, but it might just work!”

10 Likes

And then realized, upon reflection

I found myself watching closely for telltale signs of stroke… :thinking:

4 Likes

I doubt it.
It was only three days ago he told Obama to keep his mouth shut.

5 Likes

Sound Bite #2: “I don’t know enough.” Infinite loop.

2 Likes