Trump said "I didn't know about" cutting pandemic response team. Here's a 2018 video of him talking about why he cut the team

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/17/trump-said-i-didnt-know-ab.html

21 Likes

The Washington Post is running dueling opinion pieces under the headlines “I ran the White House pandemic office. Trump closed it.” and “No, the White House didn’t ‘dissolve’ its pandemic response office. I was there.

How is this a matter of opinion? It either was or was not cut.

Fuck you, WaPo. I’m a subscriber and fan (and you gotta love any paper that has its own Sousa march), but you screwed the pooch on this one. Get the facts and report the news. People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

40 Likes

In other words that should surprise no one, he thought he could run a musical chairs game after selling all the chairs because a gamble that the music wouldn’t stop on his watch seemed like a sure thing. Sure, somebody would eventually run out of luck (notably, the whole American public), but odds were decent it would be a Democrat who’d take the fall.

If there’s a better example of why a nation isn’t a business and shouldn’t be run like one, I can’t think of it.

50 Likes

Oh, like he gives a shit about a Republican who isn’t him.

22 Likes

“It matters because when people play politics in the middle of a crisis, we are all less safe.”
says Tim Morrison’s blatently political misinformation piece that you linked to.

The National Security Council has a group that works on biological warfare and pandemics. It still exists. He’s making an absurd bait and switch by implying that is the unit people claim trump closed while of course intentionally avoiding mention of the CDC unit that was closed which he is absolutely aware of.

edit: Apparently he is also lying about the NSC unit still existing. Most of the NSC’s people were taken off pandemic protection in 2018 as well.

26 Likes

This is what happens when you think government is just like business. People die.

42 Likes

He is incapable of admitting to a mistake. Sad.

6 Likes

The government is not like running a business. The aim is not to make profit (if it is then why did Bush make tax cuts when we were running a surplus in 2001?)

The purpose of a government is to do things for the common good that the private sector can’t do, or can’t do efficiently.

16 Likes

Or just flat won’t do for other reasons --not least being to offset the power that individuals have to harm others with less power.

17 Likes

Trump “forgets” what he said sentence-by-sentence. 2 years is almost an achievement.

14 Likes

If any of the press present had any balls they’d stand up and, before asking the question, PLAY THE FUCKING AUDIO TAPE of him saying that he did dismantle it. THEN ask him the question. I do not get why the press still think rules apply when clearly he does not.

Oh, they’re worried about losing access to this shitshow and being unable to be there to ask another feeble fucking question he’ll lie and bluster to? Fuck them, too.

38 Likes

Fucking fucker being a fucking fuck.

16 Likes

Tim Morrison is a contributor to the National Review. A scan of his various articles on the internet shows that he shares the modern far-right hardon for China as a bogeyman. So it is no shock that he begins the article with a “concede, but defend” maneuver:

“President Trump gets his share of criticism — some warranted, much not.”

A fair view of the situation would read, “much warranted, some not”.

13 Likes

what an asshole

8 Likes

20 Likes

Your life will be much fuller and less stressful if you’d ignore anything labeled “Opinion.” The media likes to “both sides” every issue even when there’s only one side. Opinions are like assholes… everyone’s got them, and you should see the shit that comes out of the GOP’s butts.

9 Likes

And incapable of learning from a mistake. Deplorable.

4 Likes

21 Likes

I’d be vastly impressed at them restricting their bothsidesism to “opinion” pieces. Fat chance, that.

6 Likes

Possibly even to himself.

When his statements conflict with objective reality, he gets really, really angry at objective reality for failing to back him up. I honestly think he’s probably convinced himself that he didn’t actually do the thing he once bragged about doing, because that’s the kind of sociopathic narcissist he is.

28 Likes