MMXVII Dead Pool - Sign up and rules discussion

Wondering if I should take John Glenn off my draft list…

3 Likes

Maybe. But it’s only 3 weeks or so away…

Reminds me. We need a FRIST! rule. +10 points for the first one.

5 Likes

And +20 if it’s on January 1.

2 Likes

Knock on wood, you idiot!! (One of my favorite superstitions. Yes, of course, I knock on my own skull. Who doesn’t?)

3 Likes

In today’s world of plastic and metal, what other wood would you have nearby?

Aside: Inspired by my father, I’ve spent way too much time determining the exact shape I need to make my mouth to create the perfect “hollow” sound when I knock on my skull.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’m sorry to say…

John Glenn did not make it to 2017.

5 Likes

It’s fine to participate in a dead pool you’re running. I don’t know anyone who just sits out and adjudicates only.

I like the latest two rules.

I have an idea, it might be stretching scope, but if there are no material prizes awarded it may be harmless: The Clean Plate Award to someone whose entire slate kicks it. I’ve never seen it happen, but someone who’d like to win a trophy graphic and is unsure about their odds of emerging supreme points-wise could try for it. Example given: Javier Perez de Cuellar, Beverly Cleary, Herman Wouk, Jimmy Snuka, Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland, David Rockefeller, Norman Lloyd, Prof. Irwin Corey, Mary Carlisle.

2 Likes

Sounds good. And we should probably ask whoever wins it some questions too…

As for private/public lists, I think it could be fun watching people madly swap out their picks as lists gets posted.
So Imma post mine and get things kicked off.

2 Likes

Agreed! Some, like Straight Dope Celebrity Death Pool 2017, start publishing their lists from 1 December, and, having listed John Glenn, Craig Sager, and now Zsa Zsa Gabor, the contestants make their revisions open.

Another suggestion for Clean Plate award: Rick Roll the Winner “With Ten You Get Rick Roll”

Yes. “You didn’t scrape your leavings into the dog’s mouth, did you?”

2 Likes

Nah, I’m not in.

I’m not a big gambler on my best of days; and if I put someone’s name in a deadpool and they actually died, I’d feel like shit… unless it was Trump, of course, and I’m just not that lucky.

6 Likes

You have at least two centenarians on that list. Isn’t that like cheating?

2 Likes

Centenarians score less.
A 104 year-old will score 16, while an 89 year-old scores 31 points.

3 Likes

How is providing an example for @M_M to mull over accepting for an additional prize/award cheating? It’s not my Dead Pool list: my list will go in the MMXVII Dead Pool proper game thread. I’m struggling with whether to do a themed list or not…

1 Like

Pretty much all those on that example are good ones. I’d already had Jimmy Snuka on mine, but I’m hoping he get his day in court first. [quote=“JemmieDuffs, post:64, topic:90196”]
I’m struggling with whether to do a themed list or not…
[/quote]

I thought about doing a wrestlers-only list, but it got depressing really quickly. Not a long life-expectancy in that game… :frowning:

1 Like

I meant going for folks who are over 100 years old. Seems too easy.

Higher odds of scoring, versus a lesser score. If you did a lot of research, you could stack your card with all sorts of olds but only score under 200 points.

Now if Mango Mussolini karks it in a banana-related accident (old dude, overweight, high stress job, bad diet, high risk position requiring bodyguards) that single pick with all the various bonuses could easily score as much as a whole card of super-centenarians.

I’ve tried to balance it a bit, but we’re playing for a no-prize and bragging rights. So you could play safe, or play high-risk. And given the Grim Reaper has been a real dick recently, playing safe might not net you much.

2 Likes

Entries overlap among lists is acceptable, yes?

Would Harry Belafonte’s passing count as a banana-related death?

2 Likes

Yep.

Maybe… He’s known for more than that one song, even though it was his biggest hit. I’d probably put it to a vote. :banana: :urn:

2 Likes

Monitor, monitor? I have to change my list!

2 Likes