MMXVII Dead Pool - Sign up and rules discussion

Nah, I’m not in.

I’m not a big gambler on my best of days; and if I put someone’s name in a deadpool and they actually died, I’d feel like shit… unless it was Trump, of course, and I’m just not that lucky.

6 Likes

You have at least two centenarians on that list. Isn’t that like cheating?

2 Likes

Centenarians score less.
A 104 year-old will score 16, while an 89 year-old scores 31 points.

3 Likes

How is providing an example for @M_M to mull over accepting for an additional prize/award cheating? It’s not my Dead Pool list: my list will go in the MMXVII Dead Pool proper game thread. I’m struggling with whether to do a themed list or not…

1 Like

Pretty much all those on that example are good ones. I’d already had Jimmy Snuka on mine, but I’m hoping he get his day in court first. [quote=“JemmieDuffs, post:64, topic:90196”]
I’m struggling with whether to do a themed list or not…
[/quote]

I thought about doing a wrestlers-only list, but it got depressing really quickly. Not a long life-expectancy in that game… :frowning:

1 Like

I meant going for folks who are over 100 years old. Seems too easy.

Higher odds of scoring, versus a lesser score. If you did a lot of research, you could stack your card with all sorts of olds but only score under 200 points.

Now if Mango Mussolini karks it in a banana-related accident (old dude, overweight, high stress job, bad diet, high risk position requiring bodyguards) that single pick with all the various bonuses could easily score as much as a whole card of super-centenarians.

I’ve tried to balance it a bit, but we’re playing for a no-prize and bragging rights. So you could play safe, or play high-risk. And given the Grim Reaper has been a real dick recently, playing safe might not net you much.

2 Likes

Entries overlap among lists is acceptable, yes?

Would Harry Belafonte’s passing count as a banana-related death?

2 Likes

Yep.

Maybe… He’s known for more than that one song, even though it was his biggest hit. I’d probably put it to a vote. :banana: :urn:

2 Likes

Monitor, monitor? I have to change my list!

2 Likes

Can you find someone unpleasant to replace him with?

2 Likes

OK, who’s your replacement?

I am going to break from my Brexit Brigade and choose someone unpleasant:

Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi,

5 Likes

Strong choice. Added.

1 Like

yes. Thanks for obit on Dead Celebrity.

4 Likes

I just noticed this rule:

For each BoingBoing main-page item about them before their death +10 points - players must provide links!

This seems like some work. I may have to revisit BoingBoing’s archive and redo my list. Are all archived main-page articles from BoingBoing eligible? Hasn’t BoingBoing been on the net for decades?

3 Likes

I guess it depends on how badly you want to win :wink:

I’d put Ruben Bolling or Ed Piskor on my list, except they’re both quite young.

I didn’t bother with a 27 club contestant, 'cos I think Taylor Swift will be okay.

4 Likes

What constitutes “about” anyway: a keyword? Mention in the topic title AND first paragraph?

2 Likes

Y’know, I was all set to make a list, but now I just can’t. The only thing I want on my list is Stupid Horrible Year 2016.

6 Likes

Yes. Yes it is.

Yep.

Yes. Yes it has. And some might not even be searchable without the Wayback Machine. Why do you think I asked players to provide links?

Mentioned by name in the title or the article is substantially about them. I ain’t no rules lawyer, so, ya know, work with me here.

Like frex: George Michael gets a +25 for getting an obit. A Wham video or an article on of his arrest or activism would get a +10. A mention in the tabloid roundup wouldn’t.

I mean, I never claimed this to be fair, balanced or any shit like that. So if you want to min-max it, knock yourself out.

2 Likes