Mobile phone covered with synthetic human skin

Yeah, this is possibly the Frenchest idea imaginable.

I notice that basically all the advertised use cases would (and do) work just as well with any modern capacitive touch interface; they’ve just added “but imagine if it felt like skin!

Which, I don’t dismiss the value of that. Cybernetics is about extending and reflecting human bodies, and making that explicit can help us understand and develop the way we interact with machines. But it does bring me to my other issue with the “ultra-realistic skin”, namely, compared to what living human being?

4 Likes

Came to post that, too. :wink:

@anothernewbbaccount

3 Likes

Kill it! Kill it with fire…

4 Likes

9 Likes

Oh o Spaghettios.

1 Like

Ummm… kill it with fire?

… or rub it expecting a robotic money shot?

In either case… all the god damned nopes!!

2 Likes

Damn, beat me to it!

2 Likes

Are we going to Cronenberg it up in this shit? Cuz’ if we are, I’m ready. I’m tired of these soft shitty bodies.

I want new appendages, both flesh and other. My insides are all wired up weird after cancer, so why the fuck not. Let’s get weird with this shit.

Long live the new flesh!

7 Likes

I’ll let you have “Take off and Nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure”

Oh. Wait. Nevermind.

1 Like

No way you can see the video while masturbating with this thing. Even a low level motion sensor hooked up naked body would tremble as fuck. Such a shitty design… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

“Hey buddy? You got a dead cat in there, or what?”

3 Likes

And here I thought the next step would be adding boobs. I guess they skipped that stage.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Giger.

1 Like

WTF is that!

3 Likes

Pretty sure this whole thing is a parody.

Checks again.

Nope, not a parody.

“Skin-On Interfaces is a research project made by Marc Teyssier, Gilles Bailly, Catherine Pelachaud, Eric Lecolinet, Andrew Conn and Anne Roudaut.

This research was conducted at Bristol Interaction Group, in Bristol UK. Researchers are from Telecom ParisTech, HCI Sorbonne Université and CNRS.”

https://marcteyssier.com/projects/skin-on/

The behind the scenes video could use some commentary however; it’s mute.

2 Likes

“Skinterface”

5 Likes

“Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh”

@jmv The fact that it is open source adds a whole extra level of potential oddness to this already weird product.

5 Likes

Pierced nipple phone ring coming soon

Prince Albert later.

1 Like

Yes, many many people have called out that this could (and would) be used for sex-related applications. But there are other potential applications.

• While an arm that shoots glitter is cool, imagine if that same arm had a robotic hand that could feel her friends and family gripping it? This same type of arm may also be useful for paraplegics or quadriplegics.

• Imagine a robotic caregiver that could attend an elderly person 24/7 and detect when their charge held their forearm. Touching warm somewhat squishy flesh may comfort the elderly person more than touching cold hard metal.

• Imagine a doctor in New York City using a telepotence device to “touch” the skin of a patient in a disaster area (having a local section of synthetic skin react as the remote patient’s skin does) and use that in conjunction with sight and hearing to diagnose injury or illness? You could even have a group of doctors take shifts using the device (or maybe getting a second or third opinion by sharing the sensation) to treat patients 24/7 once the device has been transported to the scene.

• Tying into the application just above, imagine training medical students to diagnose a rare and/or dangerous disease that would normally require them to touch an infected patient. Instead of keeping around a patient with that disease, have the robotic hand record how the skin of the infected patient feels and present that feeling to the students in the safety of the robotic medicine classroom. “Here’s what the skin of a patient suffering from ebola or malaria would feel like.” for example.

2 Likes