Moist. MOIST! (the science of why some people hate that word)

Not a fan of it either. I don’t find anything particularly off putting about the flavor, but i don’t enjoy it for the most part. The only anise flavored thing i like is a venezuelan fried sweet dough that has molasses and anise… and it’s really damn great. Beyond that i dont care for it.

2 Likes

I’ll have to try that. I haven’t met many people without strong opinions on anise.

1 Like

I can’t stand it in any form, from black jelly beans, to Nyquil, to Sambuca.

That is some noxious shite, right there.

3 Likes

As they say in the cake thread, more for me :yum:

5 Likes

All for you; have at it, you monster.

*lolz

3 Likes

Seepage. It’s always something unpleasant doing the seeping.

6 Likes

I even wrote a little poem a while back for a friend and absinthe convert.

Absinthiana
The emerald, the fountain, the sugar, the spoon
Drips as you fall in a fairytale glass
With wormwood and licorice lunatic moon
Free as a prophet whose dream is his last

Currently I’m hunting for the right vintage absinthe fountain to laser-sinter the poem onto.

2 Likes

Isn’t absinthe illegal in the States, though?

Or is that a misconception?

Not since 2007…

And it was only ever illegal in the US and France because of a libelous smear campaign by the French wine lobby that claimed wormwood was a hallucinogen, which it most certainly isn’t, my own fanciful bad poetry aside.

4 Likes

Noted.

1 Like

Also the recipe calls for brown sugar, if you wanted to go full on authentic you’d have to use panela which is the solid form of molasses that latin americans use but… brown sugar is easy.

Edit: I guess maybe plantain is a standard ingredient in it. So i took that out of my comment. I’ve never made it myself so this is news to me lol, but if you feel adventurous try making some! :smiley:

1 Like

Wait, if that’s the case, then what in absinthe causes the “love potion” effect?

After all, absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.

8 Likes

Oh yeah, never heard that one before :rolling_eyes:
:wink:

I do find some of the marketing ploys irritating. The non-existent hallucinogenic effect became something producers would try to use as a selling point. There’s also a lot of bullshit about it being an artistic muse (and I think we can see from my poem that it isn’t). In reality it became popular among Parisian French and American and Brit ex-pats, especially artists and authors, because it was a cheaper way to get drunk than really good wine and other spirits, and it gets real purddy when you water or sugar it.

3 Likes

I had a friend who hated the word ■■■■■ even when she was kid. It reminded her of damp underpants.

Heh. ■■■■■ panties.

3 Likes

It’s weird that folks don’t seem to respond to the word “damp” in the same way…

1 Like

damp underwear is what you get out of the dryer before It’s finished its cycle

■■■■■ underwear is an entirely different article of clothing.

6 Likes

Men can get “■■■■■?”

Do tell…

*lolz

1 Like

Yes, but I’m afraid someone here will define it as seepage.

6 Likes

That’s definitely not a pleasant sounding word.

3 Likes

To me it’s not so much the sound as what it brings to mind. Something very wrong with the septic tank under the yard. Bandages way overdue for changing. A burlap sack of rotting carcasses.

4 Likes