Moist. MOIST! (the science of why some people hate that word)

NyQuil? Wait, does that have anise flavoring?

Is this like the time that someone patiently explained to me that Tootsie Rolls were intended to be chocolate flavored?

2 Likes

Salt. Salt makes licorice something else, something wonderful. Or worse. Salty licorice (aka salmiak) is the Marmite of candies, only much more so. Some people can take or leave Marmite, but I’ve yet to meet a single person who has a mild opinion of salmiak.

3 Likes

As someone who in the previous decade had the task of replacing a septic tank that hadn’t been replaced in some 40 years, I can attest that septic tank is no mere disgusting term, it’s the most vile den of scum and villainy in the known galaxy.

They may want to get that checked out.

I never thought so, but I can sort of vaguely see the similarity. I avoid cold medicine rather a lot, and will never take the liquid form (gel caps for me thanks), so maybe not the best reference palate.

That’s a pretty good comparison actually. My thought is, if you’ve had real black licorice, that’s what anise tastes like. Black jelly beans are close. Aniseed balls are closer.

I will say that I generally don’t ever consume anise-flavored things straight up. They’re divine ingredients, but they’re an ingredient.

I strongly dislike it. But I try it again every half decade to see if that’s changed, because my palate has evolved. When I was younger, I absolutely hated black licorice.

1 Like

Thanks for that lovely visual.

*lolz

I’m pretty sure it does, or at least close enough that my gag reflex can’t tell the difference.

2 Likes

Marmite is very handy for gravy and mushroom soup. Yeast extracts are handy in general. I’ve found Vegemite to be a stellar alternative to soy sauce for stir-fry. Slightly less salty and more complex in taste. The only downside is that the stuff has the consistency of ganache, so you need to whisk it with some water before using it as a seasoning.

3 Likes

■■■■■ doesn’t bother me. Whimsy, now there’s an annoying word.

Vegemite is amazing and now I have the song in my head.

2 Likes

I feel moistly.

(ugh…)

2 Likes

There are two different kids of salty licorice. More common outside of northern Europe are varieties less sweet. But proper salmiak uses ammonium chloride rather than sodium chloride as its salt, which inspires a much more pronounced flavor.

Being broke, I usually cannot afford candy. But when I can, I like to order salmiak. They make it hard to obtain! Haribo are one of the largest producers, and they export a lot of candy to the States - but not salmiak. The salty squid or super piratos are some of the best. AAAIIIEEEE!!! Now you’ve got me thinking about them and I cannot stop salivating! So Pavlovian! Yet so delicious!

4 Likes

I rather dislike licorice, but the uber salty variety… while not great i don’t find it to be totally unenjoyable. Must be the challenge factor of eating it… like being dared to eat a really sour warhead candy.

Damp to me is more of a disappointing word. It conjures to mind poorly dried clothes, or walking about in wet shoes.

4 Likes

I will take it! I’ll take all of your Marmite and Vegemite and enjoy it on lovely buttered toast with eggs.

2 Likes

No worries, it’s part of the package with this moniker.

1 Like

A much-needed clarification, thank you. I’ve had sodium/potassium chloride licorice and it’s just not the same. Ammonium chloride has that extra zing that makes salmiak the Crown of Salt Licorice.

1 Like

Before that too.

5 Likes

If you reverse Google search the image I posted, you’ll find that it’s actually Lillith, not Eve; when I said the “very start,” that’s exactly what I meant.

:wink:

ETA:

I know the apple would make one conclude it’s Eve, but again, I’m not the artist who rendered it…

4 Likes

See people are already disproving the study. The theory is its the sound of the word and the facial expression forced that causes the disgust. But People are saying their disgust comes from the feelings and things they associate with the concept and not the word ■■■■■. I mean, maybe he has cause and effect released, but I don’t remember people hating ■■■■■ 20 years ago.

Would we hate ■■■■■ if it meant something else?

How do we feel about “coiffed”?

Reverse Google image search has been broken for me for a long time, it’s probably something to do with NoScript.

Bummer.

1 Like

That’s odd. I’ve never had an issue with Google image search, and I leave noscript in the default block state. (I’ve got 2 extra clicks every time I log into boingboing.) I don’t think there’s anything in google image search that requires scripts to run.

1 Like