Mom crochets badass glow-in-the-dark Slimer costume for her son

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/22/mom-crochets-badass-glow-in-th.html

8 Likes

I don’t know that much about crocheting, but that sounds a little like hand-coding jpegs in binary…

11 Likes

That is wicked cool…

7 Likes

Damn that’s good. I now want to see the entirety of Ghostbusters rendered in crochet.

8 Likes

Is a Predator costume for 6 year old the best parent ever - or the worst for exposing them to the Predator at 6?

3 Likes

Yes and no. Crochet is particularly amenable to freehanding because there are some basic moves (like how to increase/decrease the number of stitches in a way that makes a flat circle versus a cone versus a cylinder), and once you’ve got those down, you can do some really awesome stuff. I find it much more flexible than knitting–I can’t knit an interesting hat without a pattern, but I have no problem crocheting a fun/unique hat on the fly.

Which is not at all take take away from the amazingness of what she does. It makes me want to pick up my hooks again!

6 Likes

Hey, for all we know, the little tyke saw an ad on TV for the latest movie and said, “that’s what I want to be for Halloween!” Or maybe he just told Mommy “I want a really scary costume this year,” and she ran with it and created something awesome. Either way, I’m not too concerned. Impressed-- absolutely!

Me too!

6 Likes

thanks! that’s really interesting. Ok, second try at an analogy: it sounds like modelling an amusement park from memory in Sketchup…

Or he saw the ad, and it scared the shit out of him, and his mom knew the only way to conquer the fear would be through embodied empowerment…

4 Likes

Could be. It was a little tongue in cheek. :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha. :wink: Sorry, it’s Monday, and I haven’t had any coffee yet.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.