Next-level parenting: crocheting a freehand, glow-in-the-dark Alien Xenomorph kids' costume

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/04/kill-it-with-fire-2.html

4 Likes

Sure hope it’s cold on the 31st for this kid’s sake, wherever he lives! :smiley:

8 Likes

I was thinking the same.

Also remembering so many Halloween costumes hampered by the necessity of a coat in nippy October weather…

10 Likes

Glow-in-the-dark kids, you say?

5 Likes

I have been fairly diligent about making sure my son’s costumes have enough room to allow longjohns to be worn under them, just in case. :wink:

5 Likes

Well my mom helped make me a… functional ren fair costume, but nothing this cool. Dang.

Hot tip - buy a good cloak and then the stuff under it can be sub par and no one can see it.

2 Likes

Is she taking orders? Relaxing after work would be so much better as a zenomorph. As would running errands. Job interviews. DMV. Everything, all the time.

6 Likes

Remembering my Ozark mountain man costume (overalls, longjohns, floppy hat, corncob pipe) from third grade…

3 Likes

And the great thing is that mommy can use her crocheting skills to enlarge the costume as her daughter grows up. And you know the daughter is gonna want to where this thing at any time!

PS: Here’s to hoping that the tail is frangible or at least extremely flexible.

1 Like

Taking a bath would be a bit annoying, but I generally agree.
Also, if this would just pop up on my way to work, jumped out of the bushes maybe, I would certainly fall of my ride.

What the hell. I think I’m going to look for a making-of, and sending this straight to my in-law. She’s bound to do that, Cologne-style.

She wore her firstborn as a (human) chestbuster on carnival. That would just be the next level. And she’s a mean crocheter. And the only non-professional I know who has not one, but two knitting machines.

4 Likes

Need the Venom/zenomorph cross bred version for auto-deployment.

My mom crochets daily but not on this level.

2 Likes

Shit, I can’t find a how-to. But the ET also is quite nice…

I would also love a version based on Where the Wild Things Are.

Rawr!

1 Like

“Back off, or I’ll poke your eyes out!”, kind of mean?

4 Likes

Quite so. (But I have to correct myself: she’s a mean knitter, not a crocheter. Sorry. My bad.)

Knitted a baclava for her second-born. Face pattern was the punisher skull. Kindergarten said they could not wear it out of carnival. She explained to them that her kids garments were none of their business unless harmful, and she didn’t reciprocally ask for all the scary (and gender-exclusively used) Princess Lillifee merch to be removed. Pointed also out that contrary to that and all the Elsa-stuff present, she made it herself. And made a point when her firstborn ask to go to kindergarten dressed as pink unicorn with a tu-tu to add an expandable knitted rainbow fart.

She bloody well knitted her way to respect. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

6 Likes

My sister has a friend with a somewhat exuberant strain of vascular dementia (he’d merely be ‘eccentric’ if he were richer, natch. He is truly splendid company). He really likes costumes, but had to have his Xenomorph outfit confiscated after terrifying the local populace. :smiley:

4 Likes

That too bad, The world does’t have enough eccentric xenomorphs.

4 Likes

I am inclined to agree.

2 Likes

It doesn’t work like that. This is mostly crocheted in rounds, which means there are few to no seams. It’s not too difficult to up-size a pattern, but mom would have to destroy this costume in order to make an ill-advised attempt at up-sizing it.

Full disclosure: crocheting for 40 years, knitting for 38 years. I learned as a kid, one skill from each grandma.

4 Likes