Mom sends daughter into panic by rolling down window in front of a boy

Originally published at: Mom sends daughter into panic by rolling down window in front of a boy | Boing Boing

6 Likes

My Son is fond of reminding me of the most terrible awful times I rode him to school on the back of my motorcycle, HA HA HA. Kids these days.

21 Likes

I played my friend the Air Supply song. She identified part of the chorus as sounding like “Total Eclipse of the Heart”. And it does indeed, both songs being by the same genius Jim Steinman, also responsible for Meat Loaf’s best songs as well as Sister of Mercy’s “This Corrosion”.

ETA: I have been unclear (both in word and mentally). Steinman wrote the first two but was producer on “This Corrosion”. Thanks to @SheiffFatman for the clarification.

9 Likes

Possibly the funniest scene in the Incredibles movies was when Bob tries to set Violet up with the boy she likes.

20 Likes

My mother was more a fan of telling the parents of the girl I liked that “it’d be nice to have a [her first name] [my last name] in the family,” while I was standing there, while I was sixteen and not even close to thinking about college, much less marriage.

She also is inclined to think that anyone’s stories are her stories to tell, so she constantly tells people her poorly remembered versions of a story you told her.

My unintentional revenge has been to not get married or give her any grandchildren (she has enough from my siblings) and to be in a long term relationship with a well-educated leftist atheist.

27 Likes

I’m… not getting it. What’s embarrassing about having the window rolled down? The boy might notice her and think she rolled down the window to interact with him? Ducking down and shrieking seems like it would be more embarrassing than coolly continuing to look at her phone. I guess I’m not well versed in the causes and cures of teenage embarrassment (I was weirdly immune to many embarrassing things as a teen. I think other people were embarrassed for me.)

5 Likes

I imagine it is the general anxiety that comes with being relatively new to feeling attraction for people and discomfort with not being in complete control of how you choose to interact with those people. It’s embarrassing to possibly be seen as expressing interest unless you intentionally choose to do so and have prepared yourself emotionally and mentally for it. Fear of rejection can be a strong motivator to try to control as much as possible.

21 Likes

What model of car is this that has no passenger-side window button? Or has she not learnt how to operate these yet? She doesn’t even appear to try.

6 Likes

And everybody says parenting teenagers is miserable and no fun. It can be a great deal of fun…

6 Likes

Don’t forget Celine Dion’s It’s All Coming Back to Me Now :wink:

Puberty yo – it’s a bitch!

5 Likes

Faint aroma of staged? A sousant of not quite genuine, but her mom would have to be in on it. The deep state is real after all.

3 Likes

My father used to play bagpipe music when dropping my younger brother off at Junior high. Much better than Air Supply.

8 Likes

Well maybe if it was Thunderstruck…

12 Likes

My car lets me lock the passenger window buttons so that they don’t work independently.

5 Likes

My thought was, why is the mom recording this? Is she always recording her daughter, or is this a one off? Doing stuff to embarrass your kids is one thing, putting it on the internet for all to see is another altogether.

7 Likes

and Barry Manilow’s Read 'em and Weep.

3 Likes

What was embarrassing about riding a motorcycle?

2 Likes

All the other kids came by auto, he wanted Pops to be like all the other Dads, I guess. He’s 30 now, so I don’t recall him admonishing me about in a decade or so…

5 Likes

Kids hate to be different from the others in any way.

6 Likes