Mom uses her kid to steal guy's parking spot

Never took me that long to get out of a spot. Even when I had small kids and groceries and such.

1 Like

Well, one of my friends would blow his nose into his hand and then wipe it off on their door handle.

1 Like

Not for money, no. Iā€™m torn on this one. It looks to me though like the person filming had the ā€˜right of wayā€™ and asshole behavior won out. But thatā€™s just how it looks to me, and may not be factual or anything.

Personally, I donā€™t wait for spaces, ever. I just park farther away, and wonder about the people who do wait for spaces as I walk past. Itā€™s almost never worth waiting for a spot.

13 Likes

The day when the car that takes me shopping drives itself and I donā€™t even own it cannot come too soon.

When the car drops me off at the door and then leaves the premises, no parking space is necessary!

When businesses no longer need to provide idle storage for privately owned automobiles (at a ratio of about 1 car for every 1.75 customers) the land footprint for the business will decrease dramatically.

When the required footprint for enough businesses decrease, cities will get more pedestrian friendly, and fewer people will be even tempted to own their own car.

15 Likes

Not enough likes, laughing out loud. Hopefully Iā€™m allowed to use this in the future. Quet brilliant.

7 Likes

I prefer the store to bring the food to me.

1 Like

Cowardly man-child? Are you suggesting violence? I can sort of understand the frustration, I donā€™t think Iā€™d bother posting a video myself, but somehow I still think the mother is being if not pushy at least impolite. (Interesting how being in a vehicle changes things, I mean if you were in a line up would you accept someone using their kid to butt ahead in line? Or about to sit down in a restaurant or theatre and some kid ran in threw a jacket on the chair.

3 Likes

or having lost hair after undergoing chemo.

7 Likes

A road ragey driver would have bumped the kid out of the way.

That kid would have been snuffed here in San Diego, like in a second.

4 Likes

I thought you had guns ā€¦

Unfortunately, the reality of things like parking spots and seats at open seating restaurants is that in many cases, you can only have what you take and/or fight for and usually they arenā€™t worth fighting for.

He could have gotten out of his vehicle and stood there in the spot to block their car, but then his vehicle is blocking a lane and the store could have it towed and since heā€™s presumably alone, heā€™d have to leave the spot to get back in the car. Meanwhile, other spots are opening up while he would have been fighting for it.

The return on investment of fighting for something like that is not usually in your favor unless itā€™s a zero sum game where there will not another spot open nearby any time soon.

2 Likes

Indeed, one other to the list of ā€œonly ONE reason for wearing a headscarfā€.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had impatient people honk at me for ā€˜taking too longā€™ to leave a parking place they wanted.

When they do that, I get back out of the car, lock it, and walk away.

17 Likes

The kid blocking the spot is the start of the problem. If he wasnā€™t involved, and the women politely explained what they were doing, maybe the recording driver would have acquiesced? Instead, the blocking driver is knowingly being aggressive and escalating the situation by using her kid on a bike in a parking lot, as a car blocker. Bad form by the blocker, not using very good judgement here.

The blocker is also putting the parked people at risk. She asked for their spot, but is also asking them to ā€œpoliceā€ anyone else that may ride up and already have a claim on their spot.

Parking lots in the US donā€™t work this way, she knows it, and is using good intentions of others and hoping nothing happens to her son to get a freaking parking spot.

6 Likes

The child on his bike while in a parking lot would be categorized as a pedestrian. You are an adult driving a registered and insured vehicle in said parking lot. If you were to strike said child, you are a) an absolute idiot and b) entirely screwed for your idiocy.

ā€œStealingā€ a spot is annoying as shite. But the adult thing to do is simply find another spot.

I also want to point outā€¦The Boathouse is a well priced restaurant there in BC. Looks nice enough, lovely menu. If the place is so packed with cars that you cannot find a spot, you need to go to the restaurant management and spend some time screaming at them for not providing enough parking for the number of diners they have in the establishment.

3 Likes

Or you could be poilte and get in your car and leave in short order.

2 Likes

Sorry - the bad guy is anyone who camps out waiting for a parking space. You put yourself in the way of everyone else whoā€™s trying to move on and find another spot. You canā€™t just sit there in the travel lane waitig.

7 Likes

imagine what they could have done with 12 kids!

personally, i have 2 children, and i like to set a positive loving compassionate example for them, i donā€™t know what is up with these horrible people. #NotAllParents

3 Likes

ā€œA road ragey driver would have bumped the kid out of the way.ā€ - this nasty comment is disappointing to see on BoingBoing.

Mark, please change this. You are talking about a real child and a few minutes waiting for a parking space.

The road rage guy is in the wrong, both for throwing a fit over this and pulling the ā€œthink about the childrenā€ when heā€™s daydreaming about ramming the kid himself. Move on, grow up.

2 Likes