Mom uses her kid to steal guy's parking spot

But you have no problems with a parent that uses their kid as a car blocker in a parking lot???

2 Likes

You people who can drive (II am legally blind) are just so precious when you get into fights and tiffs like this and even kill each other rather than maybe walk a few hundred yards.

The suffering you endure as you sit on a nice padded seat in a air conditioned car with stereo makes me weep for sympathy at your plight.

Take the bus sometime when you have five different things you need to do and they are all in different parts of town and the cab ride to just one of them costs more than it would cost you to rent a decent car for the entire day then maybe a bit of a wait to find a parking spot won’t seem so damn traumatic.

11 Likes

That’s nothing. I use mine to chock my wheels when I do car work.

5 Likes

(I won’t make a judgement on who was right or wrong. I think it all depends on what angle you’re coming from; I’m sure the family believed the family was there first and the camera-car-person believed the camera-car-person was there first.)

The thing that intrigues me is that the family was more enterprising, while the camera-car-person just sat in the car and expected to be given the spot. The family made that all-important human face-to-face connection that sold the leaving-people on giving them the spot. The family worked together with each other in time and space to get what they needed, and they brought the leaving-people in on the idea of helping them achieve their goal.

5 Likes

Wont you think about the car block manufacturers and retailers? Animal!

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s how you get a spot in a parking lot in the US.

So next time you are driving around in a lot waiting for a spot to open up, I’m just going straight to the front of the store and ask the next person coming out if I can have their spot, telling them how my back hurts. So while you are patiently waiting for a spot to open, you can patiently wait even more. Thanks for being so accomodating! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

But if spots aren’t opening up very quickly and you’ve been circling the lot for (subjectively) “too long,” stopping and waiting for someone who appears to be leaving soon might be your only way to get a spot soon. Why keep circling and playing a game of musical parking spots in hopes that someone will be pulling out of their spot when you happen to drive down their lane? Meanwhile, someone who just entered the lot happens to get a spot immediately because of the randomness of their timing.

Again, different people think there are different rules. Unless there’s a stated and enforced policy or law on the matter, people will do whatever they think is best for themselves.

Yes it is. So if she’s using her kid as a traffic cone, she may be a not so great mom, but it’s not stealing, and fuck the road rage comments. A jerk in a car is always more dangerous than a jerk not in a car.

3 Likes

No argument form me :slight_smile: I was just musing on approaches to problem-solving, and the difference that making the human connection seemed to make.

Also: if your back hurts, I wish you well.

So’s spawn camping in multiplayer. Does not negate the fact you’re an ass for doing it.

4 Likes

That’s exactly why I feel like the kid should have been left out of it, it was an aggressive move.

3 Likes

Or go park on the street. Or the lot next door. Or take the bus or ride a bicycle or go to a different restaurant. Sitting in a parking lot blocking everybody with your blinker on is douchey.

5 Likes

No it isn’t. It is the correct behavior.

1 Like

Someone sitting in a physical space is not an “aggressive move”, persons need to not project their anger on others.

O man I love that kid. That was really ballsy to move the bike right in front of the car like that! I want to give him a high five. Anybody who waits for a spot blocking traffic deserves to be taught this lesson (especially while multiple other people are leaving the restaurant and heading for their cars so many other spaces are opening up).

But does anybody else wonder why this family drove to the restaurant if they live close enough that the kid was there on his bike and the mom was walking? Did they have the bike in the back of the car and got it out just for this? Or do they live next door and just decided to use up more of the parking spots? Ideally, they live next door, and they saw this douche waiting for a spot in the parking lot, and said, “hey son, let’s go fuck with that idiot waiting for the spot at the boathouse!” and jumped in the car to go mess with him.

That assumes a lot about any random parking lot and the amount of time people have to look for a spot. Sometimes there isn’t street parking or a different lot nearby. Sometimes there isn’t public transportation and you don’t own a bike or live close enough to ride a bike to your destination or the streets aren’t bike-friendly. Sometimes you’re on a time-limited lunch break and you can’t go home and grab your bike or there isn’t another restaurant or grocery store within a decent distance. Sometimes the pharmacy you’re trying to park at is the one that’s filled your prescription already. There are an infinite number of understandable circumstances that would preclude someone from being douchey while doing what they need to do within reason to get a parking spot in a likely crowded parking lot.

The only way it’s douchey to sit in the parking lot with your blinker on is if it’s clear the people you’re waiting for aren’t moving anytime soon or your refuse to move on when there are other spots available.

1 Like

We disagree. I also think that double parking outside a post office blocking traffic is wrong for exactly the same reason, but you are entitled to your opinion.

1 Like

Double parking in traffic isn’t just “wrong” though. It’s actually against the law.

1 Like

Completely different situations.

1 Like

Those edge cases are almost never true. When I have had the misfortune to be in a car in a parking lot, and someone is waiting for a spot, I always pass them (if they let me) and find another spot elsewhere. A spot they could have taken. Except they think it’s super important to park closer to the door to avoid the hellish physical exertion of walking 100 yards.

And in this case, google earth shows there is copious street and lot parking for miles around that Boathouse restaurant: https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Boathouse+Restaurant/@49.2808018,-122.8502906,352m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x410b7dd2017c270f:0x5aa213bcccc48530!8m2!3d49.280947!4d-122.850473!6m1!1e1?hl=en

2 Likes