Monkey tries to teach human how to open a nut

Like for the story but I think what this guy did was horrible.

Interesting though as empathy towards another animal not of the same species is regarded as a prominent sign of intelligence, but was it just the food or did they like him?

A BBC documentary about a particular whale springs to mind, some of them still alive today would remember being hunted and although we do not now they definitely would be afraid of us or so you would think, I’ve watched that many I can’t remember for sure which one.

They have been known in the past to line up and charge at whaling boats, they congregate in the bay of Mexico every year and seem to have changed their opinion of us and even bring young close to the tourist boats to be petted.

It’s become a very popular tourist attraction and would love to see them in person.

Similarly, a lioness recently protected a young monkey which had fallen from a tree from the other lions until it was able to get back into a tree.

I wonder how many people get injured trying to save wild animals? A Florida state trooper is recovering from several puncture wounds to his arm after rescuing a bald eagle from the side of the road yesterday.

6 Likes

It’s a 4chan greentext story. It almost certainly didn’t happen.

11 Likes

I wonder if given a few more minutes, the monkey might just try cracking the human upside the head?

3 Likes

Crows can apparently imitate voices just like parrots.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWnLSpTvweQ

5 Likes

We’re gonna need a bigger rock.

1 Like

Awk! Nevermore! beeeeeep

4 Likes

I don’t get it!

3 Likes

Yeah, me neither. I thought it was a Blair of Witch Projects.

6 Likes

No no no, it’s a Blair of Facts of Life

4 Likes

Rasslor was the best episode!

2 Likes

I tried to teach a monkey how to spend decades at a desk job doing soul-draining tasks in the hopes of getting a mortgage and a 401K. It didn’t seem interested.

15 Likes

Malays had informed him the ape was able to talk, but preferred not to “lest he be compelled to labour.”

8 Likes

Crows recognize individual humans and definitely form preferences. They may being you gifts or shit on your car. Depends on whether they decide if they like you. At least here in CA they travel in numbers as well. I decided long ago that spare mealworms, catfood, etc… was a bit of a bribe to stay on their good side. Also, having crows about seems to keep the mockingbirds from setting up camp nearby. Strangely, an owl in one of the trees in my backyard seems not to give a shit about the crows and vice versa.

6 Likes

Had to google that one, thought it might be Kipling!

2 Likes

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.
Douglas Adams

9 Likes
4 Likes

There seems to be a lot more to this job than just nut cracking. I don’t think the human is going to last past probatioary period.

2 Likes

I was waiting for either this or J. Fred Muggs!

HOWever…not monkeys. Monkeys have tails. Apes do not have tails. Chimps are apes.

Those facts were practically ground into my mind by my lover-of-natural-history father. I rebelled by purposely forgetting the difference between alligators and crocodiles, although I still retain the fact it has something to do with their snouts.

3 Likes

What about the Barbary macaque?

1 Like