Moon Viewing Burger: a McDonald's meal you can only get in Japan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/30/moon-viewing-burger.html

3 Likes

Nice box.

10 Likes

How can that burger view the moon? It has no eyes.

5 Likes

I’m not really up on Japanese custom but judging by the rabbit on that box, this is because they have the same mid-autumn festival thing as the Chinese, and the hamburger is basically the McDonald’s variant of the mooncake with the yolk in the middle?

3 Likes

The eggs look very similar to the ones on an Egg McMuffin.

1 Like

Just keep telling yourself that.

6 Likes

McDonald’s did this thing recently with eggs on a burger. I didn’t realize it was Canada-exclusive until just now, but it’s not unexpected that it didn’t qualify as “Australian”, as they claimed.

I am somewhat dismayed that they stopped using the “folded egg” on the McGriddle, which now uses the same “McMuffin” egg as everything else. (Apparently they’ll still do the folded egg if you ask, but I doubt that’s going to fly.) But the McGriddle is probably one of the least healthy menu items anyway.

2 Likes

I love McDonalds in Japan. Squid ink burgers and stuff. Cray. Rad.

3 Likes

A long, long time ago I served as a short order cook at the Brunswick House, a once famous Toronto tavern (alas, now gone) that had all sorts of weird side-show acts and other nonsense on their little stage - including wet t-shirt contests. So, of course, the menu included a Wet T-Shirt Burger (which only 1st year university students & hapless tourists would ever order) that was just our regular burger served with 2 eggs sunny side up on top. Our fries were good.

5 Likes

“If I lose my job
      I’ll sleep 'til noon
and if the news is bad
      I’ll watch cartoons
and if my house burns down
      I’ll have much more room
and a much better view of the moon!”
(George Wurzbach/Kingston Trio)

3 Likes

How can that burger
View the Moon?
It has no eyes.

I look forward to reading an anthology of your work inspired by the juxtaposition of Japanese foodstuffs and astronomy sometime in the near future.

10 Likes

The girl in the commercial didn’t even bite it! What gives?

1 Like

The moon rabbit is definitely a thing, but also I think a hanbaga with a fried egg on top is like… comfort food.

2 Likes

The McGriddle is cloyingly sweet and the sausage they put on anything “sausage” is merely a pork lint grease conveyance, making Sausage McGriddle the most repellant breakfast item in McDonald’s history.

1 Like

It’s almost guaranteed that they are made the same way. For what its worth, the egg on an Egg McMuffin is a real egg, it’s just cooked in a ring on the grill with a steam cover over it. The tricky part of this is that the grill they use for the egg gets repurposed (temperature changed) into the chicken grill after breakfast time is over, so the Japanese restaurants serving this either need another grill or find some other way to do the grilled chicken.

1 Like

The folded egg comes out of a carton. The McMuffin egg is a real egg that the cooks have to crack open. The carton stuff is probably just mixed up egg, but it always felt more artificial to me. The folded egg is faster and easier to cook however, so I’m a little surprised they favored the McMuffin style egg.

3 Likes

Rabbits on the moon? Hows about Bugs Aldrin?

9 Likes

* nutritional value not included

1. Yum

2. Autogenerated captions make me lol:

3. Since I’ve missed this, I think I need to spend Christmas and New Year in Japan, just so I can say I had extra special KFC for Christmas dinner…

5 Likes

McDonalds Japan is a different experience entirely. They should change the name to WcDonalds to emphasize that (and get retroactive product placement from hundreds of anime.)