More than half of Americans actually think Trump is handling coronavirus well

That’s just him repeating things he heard on Fox News

His notion of leadership is firing people

4 Likes

The “boiled frog” analogy – that a frog in a pot that is slowly heated to boiling never finds the need to jump out – no longer applies. In America, it’s a frog that jumps up to the brim of a boiling pot of water, surveys the situation, and jumps in.

3 Likes

Maybe the way the question was phrased those people thought “huh, I didn’t know Trump was infected. . . he’s handling it quite well for a man with a deadly virus!”

1 Like

It is perfectly normal in North Korea for major building projects to be given tight deadlines, typically important anniversaries, as a show of strength. The fact that renderings have already been published and construction work began immediately suggests that the “order” from Kim Jong Un was the end, not the beginning, of a planning process that began before the outbreak.

3 Likes

I identify as a meat popsicle

7 Likes

Wuhan was able to construct emergency hospitals and move in patients in 7 days.

They were temporary structures, which the new hospital in Pyongyang clearly is not.

1 Like

At the very least, that’s where his reactive negativity finds its purest expression. I think it may be bigger than that, though. His business career seems to have involved a lot of Trump coming along and criticizing plans that didn’t work (even those that he was involved with), and expecting other people to fix them. His political career has been the same. Up until he actually became president, his political expression was in purely reactive armchair quarterbacking after the fact - and that attitude has continued as president, except now he’s armchair quarterbacking everyone else, often seemingly unaware he’s the quarterback. He’s generally incapable of being proactive, nor of having any kind of vision. (Which means the only two things he even thinks to do are fire people and complain.)

6 Likes

Exactly. 7 months from now will be 2037 in Corona years.

1 Like

Because I keep seeing this same objection, below is a link to a calculator for how many people you would need to randomly sample to get a given accuracy with a given confidence. For example, ±5% accuracy at 95% confidence:

Now, you could get very unlucky and get an accidentally biased sample or a host of other sampling problems. However, you do not need to survey many people to get a reasonable idea about the general population.

3 Likes

*Sighs*

9n1nu

Internal_Screaming

tumblr_inline_o7ldh7nQYS1rl31vl_500

6 Likes

No, North Korea are doing a great job!

9 Likes

I emailed my county’s point of contact on this asking the simple question:

How many tests have been done in this county ?

He could not or would not answer. He said many sources were reporting so the figure is hard to come by.

Addition has become too difficult for my county’s health officers.

1 Like

What if the survey was conducted via phone, to landline numbers answered mainly by the elderly?

7 Likes

I keep thinking there has to be some environmental factor to explain why the United States is demonstrably stupider than almost anywhere else on Earth. My response to virtually every piece of news coming out of a country should not be “What’s wrong with people??”

5 Likes

Of course, that would be a biased sample. There are fancy tools to deal with that, such as Mister P. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilevel_regression_with_poststratification It doesn’t significantly alter the fact that sample sizes required for good results are quite modest.

1 Like

This is why we can’t have nice things.

He’s handling it well compared to what? A sponge? Three monkeys stacked on top of each other under a trench coat? A butt boil?

He’s lying at every opportunity, even when the truth would serve him better. He’s trying to hide the true number of infected in this country in order to try to save the stock market. Between this ass clown and a butt boil, I’ll still take the butt boil. At least the butt boil won’t lie to my face every damned time I look at it.

I guess I’m the odd one out then. If I were asked, I would laugh into the pollster’s face just to start the ball rolling. After all of this, if I ever have anything decent to say about that man or his competency, shoot me. I’m clearly a pod person at that point.

It won’t happen past June. And I feel that’s being generous. Add to that, expect it to be taxed.

Except he’s not going to work overtime to fix it. He’ll lie and say he’s doing that, but he won’t do that. I’ll be shocked if this even cuts into his time spent on the golf course.

Before yesterday I didn’t know anyone. Last night my brother went in to the ER because of serious breathing problems over the last couple of days and they admitted him for testing. He doesn’t have strep or the flu. It’ll be 2-7 days before his results get back, but he said they are certain he has contracted covid-19. Luckily for him, he’s pretty young at 33. They should be releasing him by tomorrow. Gotta free up the bed.

With limited testing and no big rush to get concrete numbers, that 15,000 confirmed cases number doesn’t prove anything about how far it has actually reached in the States. Let’s check back in next Friday and see how things are going. If we can ramp up testing, that number will make a huge jump, like what they are experiencing in New York.

That only works in a specific Disney movie to keep a fairy alive. If we all start believing he’s doing a good job, he will congratulate himself for doing a good job while continuing to do fuck all.

I’m just guessing, but I feel like it has been due to the systematic attack on public education by the right for the past 40+ years, with the latest attack resulting in Betsy fucking DeVos being put in charge of education in this country. They want stupid people because stupid people are easier to control.

16 Likes

Imagine how long a President who WASN’T doing a good job would have ignored the warnings.

12 Likes

Or even just people willing to spend the time to answer a survey. That alone skews heavily toward the older end of the spectrum.

7 Likes

Indeed, that is the most likely explanation; more than half the people willing to answer a landline survey which was almost certainly slanted a/f to begin with think El Cheeto in Chief is “doing a good job.”

6 Likes