Most BMW drivers are jerks, according to science

I’m reminded of The Old Man, who once rolled out this gem:

Q: Son, what’s the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?

A: With a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside.

8 Likes

Yah, used to be, back when Volvos looked like that, I was forever getting cut off by Volvos. The worst drivers! I got the feeling that it was not because they were assholes though, more cause they were just kind of oblivious. This does not seem to happen much anymore though.

Nothing against BMW, all the dealerships are german consulates XD

But seriously with BMW & the topshelf Audi cars i am not sure how it works out in Germany.
Many Young Men get them “Cheap” as used cars and these guys already drive recklessly.

To be fair, I find the “truism” that people who drive BMWs are dicks to be mostly true of people who drive NEW BMWs.

Please signal…

Honestly (and this is anedoctal) of the 3, I find BMWs to be the worst in traffic.

Agreed about the SUVs, but not necessarily hill billy trucks…

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those here! CUTE! Although I think those smart cars are by BMW? Well, no… actually mercedez-benz parent co:

I will say, it’s probably MUCH harder to drive like an inconsiderate asshole if your car fits into your pocket… :joy:

6 Likes

My wife has had 3 BMW convertibles over the years.
When I drive them I’m always extra courteous as a subversion.
No but really I’m a courteous and conscientious driver.

It’s changed a lot over the years. People used to drive as though
I was going to drive like a dick, they do that less and less.

Oh, and it’s Benzes that don’t come with turn signals.

2 Likes

As a bicyclist, I discovered many years ago to be on Extra Special High Alert whenever a Land Rover or Range Rover was around. Something about those vehicles seems to bring out the worst in their drivers.

7 Likes

BMWs are reliable? Toyotas are reliable. BMWs are lovely, but I’m not sure ‘reliable’ is a term I’d affix to them.

11 Likes

Downtown Vancouver would be practically empty of cars - and assholes.

1 Like

You are thinking of Mini Coopers. BMW makes those (now)

1 Like

Thanks! All those small(er than my Honda Fit) cars look alike to me!

4 Likes

But…I got the signal delete package.

True story, when I purchased my BMW the dealer sales guy talked about why you always see BMWs being driven at their limit. He said “…because they can” - and this may be the theory behind the mindset of expensive car owners. It’s going to shift:

I’m thinking that as more Teslas’ get out there, especially the performance versions, you’ll see a shift to calling THEM the bad drivers, as they have a lot of power on tap. And with the prices being within the “every man’s” reach, we are going to see these darting in and out of traffic, cutting people off, etc. Except they’ll have that smug “but I’m driving an electric, so it’s OK, RIGHT??” look on their faces.

3 Likes

Always a rookie mistake!

It’s like that south park episodes with the hybrids, but in real life…

south-park-smug-thanks

4 Likes

Science has explained why the drivers in the wealthy areas are SO FREAKING BAD. (Yes I am looking at you Johns Creek, Georgia)

Only the most dedicated are up to the challenge…

9 Likes

I always thought that if you scratched the paint on those things, it would say “Budweiser” under the paint.

Even more so if it has a manual transmission. Pretty sure no one would ever consider stealing my almost 20-year old VW Jetta diesel wagon, but the stick shift is an extra discouraging factor these days.

1 Like

Talk like that gets you Ladas, do you want ladas? Because that is what you will get!

1 Like

Came here to tell that joke. Now I can go back to lurking!

2 Likes

I nearly crashed my dad’s 1930 Ford Model A one time by entering a curve too fast. Fortunately, I was young and had both excellent reflexes and practice in recovering from slides. Yes, a more modern car would have had no problem at twice the speed on that curve.

2 Likes