'Motors'

Why oh why oh why? What need does it fill?

4 Likes

The NEED for SPEED !!!

Although, they’re a bit slow for that, Concorde was faster.
Eh, there’s a good chance this will end more or less like the last time anyway, even with a modern approach.

2 Likes

My mind… my body… my soul was absolutely positive that the announcer was going to add, “What a stupid fuck!”

2 Likes

The needs of very rich people to feel better than everyone else.

3 Likes

Sure, but Concorde used that model and it wasnt sustainable. Business travel makes a chunk of money for the airlines and is usually reimbursable for business travel, and gets you to your destination with an opportunity for sleep because of the seat size and the flight duration. If they are going to do this they need to accommodate the business class traveller or have regular coach options.

My opinion

3 Likes

Speaking of the mighty Peel, might I recommend this multi-video series -

And, well, it keeps going. Enjoyable.

And this one was particularly enjoyable - headed to the top of Blackpool Tower with the Peel -

4 Likes

That and flights being banned in the US.

3 Likes

Note: GP2 cars are only ~20 mph slower than F1 cars.

Comes off a bit like a de facto Brembo brake ad… but the electrically-actuated brake system tech is very interesting:

2 Likes
8 Likes

I could throttle you right about now: US Navy to ditch touchscreens after kit blamed for collision

The US Navy is ditching touchscreens and going back to physical throttles after an investigation into the USS John S McCain collision partly blamed poor design of control systems for the incident.

The first throttles will be fitted to DDG-51 class destroyers from next summer. Contracting for the new kit is already under way and the equipment is expected to come in a kit form and not require major maintenance. New ships will be built with physical throttles already in place.

Sailors told the probe that they found touchscreen control systems overly complex.

[…]

4 Likes

The touchscreens contributed, but weren’t the root cause. The accident report is a good read.

Over reliance on tribal knowledge, poor training and poor oversight were the big causes.

6 Likes

Scooters, EVs, trikes, bikes, and e-transports are all featured in this video. It’s an international overview of innovative designs for personal mobility, adventure/sport, and commercial solutions to reduce problems with traffic, pollution, and/or parking:

3 Likes

When you want “a dream—a car you can park in your dining room.” and are willing spend 12 years to fulfill that dream. Everything works. Read the article to find out which part – the only part – that is not in 1/3 scale.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This is mostly a good thing but I just hope that enough reliable charging infrastructure is built up that apartment dwellers and people who don’t own their homes don’t have to much trouble keeping their cars charged.

3 Likes

This is why I prefer EV models like these, where the battery is removable for charging anywhere:

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

The AMC Pacer vibe is strong with this one…

5 Likes

Gawd help us.