'Motors'

Google says there’s no Waze forward, carpool app axed

Google is shutting down its Waze carpooling service apparently due to poor demand from workers commuting into the office – although road traffic has bounced back to levels from the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

[…]

2 Likes

Wheels to Engine blocks. but why not invent some other new materials?

1 Like

You mean like carbon ceramic (brakes), aluminum (engine blocks and pistons), amorphous carbon (frame) and extruded aluminum (frame), etc?

2 Likes

I remember someone testing ceramic engine blocks, but I don’t think it went well. Wonder how titanium would work?

It seems like a lot of people who live in rural areas may have serious challenges with electric-only vehicles too. For example, there are plenty of Californians who live in off-the-grid cabins out in the Sierras or someplace where the infrastructure for electric cars is basically nonexistent. If you had to run a gasoline generator to charge your electric car then it would defeat the whole point of the law.

2 Likes

The law still allows for plug-in hybrids. And hopefully more “off-the-grid” folks will opt to generate power with solar or other renewables rather than gasoline generators. (Many of which are also getting phased out in CA)

3 Likes

Ah I missed that part. I wonder if the law will also cover commercial trucks (limited electric options currently available) and smaller vehicles like motorcycles (I can imagine Harley Davidson enthusiasts losing their minds over being forced to go electric).

1 Like

I doubt they’ll be a big part of the equation by 2035 anyway. The median age of a Harley rider is over 50 right now, and has been steadily increasing for years.

1 Like

3 Likes
3 Likes

It’s the ears.

english spinning GIF

4 Likes

Poor prince…

4 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

When racing fans were allowed to walk right up to race cars and drivers. Definitely 1958 Ferrari 250 “pontoon” Testa Rossas parading through. From the car numbers (quite high) the race is likely the Targa Florio.

CORRECTION: The Mille Miglia race… not the Targa Florio.

7 Likes

As an engineer who is familiar with steam locomotives I get a little annoyed when movies get major details wrong about how they function, but I also recognize that it’s an archaic technology and that most viewers would never know any better so it really doesn’t matter too much if it’s accurate.

I’m getting the impression that so many people have no familiarity with manual transmissions in cars these days that filmmakers don’t care about accuracy there either:

11 Likes

Shifter looks to be fabrication shop via prop department (?). Just for closeups since the effort of getting cams and lighting in the actual car wasn’t worth their time. Even the material in the slots appear to be some real legendary crap – typically used way back as packing material later found to degrade and “rot” quite easily, turning into a sticky powder that did more contaminating than protecting. We saw this material a lot when opening up Kudl-Pak containers used for small, rocket engine components. QA people would go nuts when they saw that stuff.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the point. It’s an entirely unrealistic depiction of a manual transmission (especially one that’s supposed to be in a 1980’s Ford Econoline Van) than anyone with much experience with real manual transmissions could instantly spot as a fake. But many viewers these days don’t have experience with manual transmissions (probably including the prop makers and/or director) so they thought it was realistic enough to get away with it.

5 Likes

Just thankful that they didn’t just jam a Huffy bike shifter in there and call it a day.

1 Like

So, soooo wrong for a manual Ford that isn’t a car. Took all of a few seconds to find a photo of a 1980 Econoline interior with a manual. 3 on the floor (plus OD, so sorta 4 on the floor):

4 Likes