'Motors'

13 Likes

Hey! That’s clutch and brake!

surprised steve urkel GIF

9 Likes

We’re dating ourselves.

5 Likes

Looks like the overriding design rule is "get as much of the vehicle as you can as close to the ground as possible.

I remember that plane!

Before the collapse, expectations were high for Fairchild Dornier.

Before they went under, Fairchild Dornier was based in San Antonio. I was in Austin and worked right by the airport (we could go out the front door and watch the planes land as they reached Runway 18R’s threshold). Sometimes I’d see a 328JET doing touch-and-go (or missed approaches) there. This might have been right before they opened the new airport at Bergstrom and it wasn’t that busy yet (we’d also see E-4s (military 747s) go in and out all day).

The old Fairchild (pre-Dornier) was based at Hagerstown Airport in MD. When I was there about 7 years ago, the residue from the old “Fairchild” signs was still visible on the hangars there, although I don’t think they’d been there since the mid’80s.

3 Likes
1 Like

Living in the Detroit area, you’d be fooled by those Rivian production numbers, there are a lot of their vehicles in the wild here.

3 Likes

Like, all of them?

5 Likes

I’m starting to think so. :joy:

3 Likes

No, there are a lot of them here in Oregon. I see one or two every couple of days.

2 Likes

I’ve seen them in the wild in Seattle. The SUV was pretty nice looking. No idea if they’re good quality or worth the money.

2 Likes
6 Likes

[…]

As the Times put it, “He was also a racetrack proprietor and car show promoter, might have had a link to the Cuban Missile Crisis and owned 14-foot fiberglass sharks. He can safely be described as a little eccentric.”

[…]

If he had any other connection with the Cuban Missile Crisis beyond living within missile range at the time I’d like to know about it. Given the shenanigans the CIA was up to regarding Cuba in general and Castro in particular during the Eisenhower and Kennedy administrations it’s not even something to dismiss out of hand.

Anyway: that red Studebaker(?) convertible…

4 Likes

I found out that bollards do indeed prevent one from running into a gas pump; unfortunately I was driving a rental when I made this discovery.

7 Likes

You okay?

3 Likes

Oh yeah, this was a few years ago, in the run-up to Hurricane Dorian. Wallet took a hit (though not as badly as I’d expected).

3 Likes

Croatian electric car maker Rimac says it has set a new EV speed record, and it’s nothing to balk at. The Nevera, its second production vehicle, was just clocked in Germany going a blistering 412 kilometers per hour (258mph).

[…]

If two million euro is too steep, but you still want an electric car that can go almost as fast (according to Elon Musk, who has never been known to exaggerate), there’s also the upcoming Tesla Roadster. When that eventually appears, it will reportedly run just $200,000 – quite the bargain.

3 Likes

Tesla’s automated driver assistance system (ADAS) is coming under fire again, with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reporting two new fatal Tesla accidents in its monthly ADAS crash report.

Since mandatory reporting began in June 2021, the NHTSA has recorded 18 fatal accidents it said involved ADAS systems. All but one report involved a Tesla.

[…]

8 Likes

I haven’t rented a car in… well over a decade but one of the last times we did we did a fair amount of surface damage on it and for whatever reason they totally ignored it. Think that was in France and we were somewhere medieval that cars are but weren’t designed for cars. Like I’m glad I never drove around Cordoba in Spain. Around the old Mosque is packed and you have to duck into a doorway to let cars go past.

They should really get rid of cars in those areas entirely.

I think here there’s a kartel of the big international firms and they seem to have a rule that they can only have new, perfect, cars so obviously they sold them during the pandemic and you couldn’t rent a car here (Ireland) last summer. If you had to a better option was to buy one for cash. Don’t know what you’d do with it when you left. Dump it in the long term car park at the airport? I mean it would be worth as much as when you bought but tourists wouldn’t have the time to sell. Maybe advertise before and arrange to sell it on at a discount to someone arriving when you leave and so on?

3 Likes

Silver Surfer’s backup ride.

4 Likes