'Motors'

Last time something like this happened, it was the MS Stockholm sinking of the SS Andrea Doria.

4 Likes

(Still catching up on this topic)

That’s my son’s ride (well, that with a stick shift)… he figures that as time goes on, they’ll get harder & harder to find.

That color scheme reminds me of the shared taxis (including auto-rickshaws, perhaps not far off from this in size) in Ethiopia.

(2010)

5 Likes

Oh, that’s a given, at least 90% of everything is a manual here.

4 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Rivian re-visited: apparently right now they sell their cars at an average price of $81,000 - but it costs them about $220,000 to make one.

6 Likes

Shit. That’s bad.

I’m used to early product being way more expensive to make before it gets a chance to scale but it’s a good practice to at least break even.

6 Likes

What concerns me is differing standards / options across countries or regions for safety, manufacturing, recycling, charging, etc. That makes mass production more challenging.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/automakers-in-race-to-manufacture-ev-batteries

4 Likes
4 Likes

They sure got hit by prices for raw materials going up and the computer chips shortage and whatnot - but changing their mind about which kind of car/model they actually were going to build a couple of times (and while being quite far into the design stage at that) can not have helped.

4 Likes

[…]

In a statement published on Friday, the company, owned by Indian conglomerate Tata Group since 2008, said it was looking to fill openings by creating a new jobs portal for displaced workers from the tech industry to “explore career opportunities, offering hybrid working patterns.”

Roles it is looking to fill include those in autonomous driving, artificial intelligence, electrification, cloud software, data science, machine learning, and more. The company said it was becoming “a digital-first and data-driven organization” in the statement.

[…]

becoming “a digital-first and data-driven organization”
Or, just a thought, just make good cars. Yes, using modern technologies. But the tools it takes to make them are not the product you sell in the first place.

5 Likes
8 Likes

It’s only a matter of time…

7 Likes
6 Likes

Doesn’t the new Defender have something like 60 computers on board?

1 Like

I didn’t count them. Could be.

1 Like
5 Likes

Hmmm…

5 Likes
6 Likes

Apparently Teslas can now use self-driving in Toronto because unspecified software reasons. Now when I walk around my no-sidewalks neighbourhood I have to worry if one of the many Teslas that I see is on autopilot while the “driver” fishes for the last potato chip in the bag.

7 Likes