'Motors'

Cross-post from climate change thread!

7 Likes

So in 1959 Mercedes-Benz started to conduct regular crash tests at their site at Sindelfingen.
At first they accelerated the test cars using the kind of winch a glider airfield might have to launch their planes into the air.
Then, in 1962, they built a steam powered rocket motor for that.

When the test car had reached its planned collision speed the rocket was uncoupled and decelerated while the car sped on towards the obstacle.

Source

7 Likes

(-edited- some was just…felt kinda smug of me. sorry.)

didnt surprised me; headrests are basically just a u-frame with some padding (often styrofoam with a hole* in the middle for ventilation)

and my guess is that it doesnt need much force to break and leverage a windshield, if the angle is right.

The girls were driving along a sandy track

so, maybe even more on the slow side? and judging by the photos in the article, they just got out of a curve and there it was, no time to really react;

*e/ ohyeah, there it is;

1 Like

Electric vehicles earn shocking report card for reliability

Interestingly, hybrid vehicles had 26 percent fewer problems than conventional vehicles, while plug-in hybrids fared worse than EVs, notching up 146 percent more issues.

Source:

5 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

621 miles? Seems oddly specific

621 miles (1,000 kilometers) of range.

Ah

8 Likes

I haven’t seen this on here yet:

3 Likes
10 Likes

Found by @mspie500 , thanks!

7 Likes

:thinking: Did they factor in the risk of self-driving cars?

GIF by Mashable

3 Likes
3 Likes

5 Likes

:thinking: Modular seems to be popular:

7 Likes

Hah! I imagine that’s exciting in the snow

3 Likes

Fuckers.

:thinking: Looks like I’m gonna need a small business to purchase a business vehicle, along with business reasons to drive it…all to keep my personal data out of their systems.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

I’m going to buy aftermarket remote starters etc.

5 Likes
6 Likes