Mozilla rebrands

“I’d imagine with the new logo, a lot of people will try typing moz://a in the URL bar. It currently does a search for moz://a. Easter egg waiting to happen? Or maybe another opportunity?”

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1331968

4 Likes

Creating logos is a nightmare, it is truly the time when any asshole can and will, loudly, have an opinion that they assume is objective. As the resident “kinda artsy, good with computers” person at my non-profit, my boss has come to me several times to make logos for initiatives, under this idea that it is a waste to pay a professional. I’ve spent days on each one (putting my actual work behind schedule), giving her multiple options for each, and have never had one actually used in the end…except the one that was a revision of a logo that a professional was hired to create.

7 Likes

I liked the design until I saw the word “MOZILLA” scrawled randomly and poorly within it. Now it just looks horrendously ugly to me.

I saw goatse, but maybe I’m just fucked up.

4 Likes

True story, when I freelanced on my business cards for the contact info tags I used:

e://
p://
f://

etc. I thought I was being clever, since I focused on webdesign and I’d never seen anyone else do it.

7 Likes

Didn’t see that. Now I can’t un-see it. Gross.

I’m usually pretty good with knowing goatse when I goatsee it. Maybe the all hands logo, but not the rest of it.

5 Likes

Yep  

Now it says eill pill fill :confused: /

3 Likes

“Choose open” indeed.

2 Likes

It took me a good couple of minutes of wondering why someone proposed the Office Space red Swingline stapler before realising it was actually a dinosaur. Still not sure of the significance of the flame, much as I like it aesthetically.

6 Likes

Officially:

We started to think that a flame could be a powerful symbol of Mozilla’s determination to remain the beacon for an open, accessible and equal internet for all, and something that a community gathers around for warmth.

My take? It’s a visual pun on firefox, or something, and any justification is the usual “we just think it looks cool, but we can’t say that, can we” design presentation BS.

There’s a fairly complete chronicle of the decision process here:

4 Likes

I told you - hedgies is DANGEROUS!

3 Likes

I don’t think that one makes any sense at all. If we hadn’t seen the real version, I don’t think anyone would read the // as two slashes in your version. They would see the colon (maybe, or maybe think it just was an ‘i’ in a weird font), and see that the ll’s were a different color. Then you try and interpret the highlighting, and it makes it look like it’s purpose is to be an emoticon. Maybe duckface?

I don’t mind the new version. I like that it’s a brand identity that you can type (if you really want to). And I like the shortened moz: that it lends itself to.

(Edit: And I hope they use moz:// as in in-browser protocol, like chrome has chrome://)

Except, damn, now I can’t unsee duckface even in the original. ://

10 Likes

Since I looked at the BBS first, I only saw Rob’s version. I read it immediately as the name, then picked out the colon-slash-slash. As it should read. The “real” version takes effort to parse as a contiguous name. Ugh.

7 Likes

Of course, SEO is still a problem to be tackled, though, until Google engineers decide to be kind and special-case “moz://a” for them…

8 Likes

Hmmm, and you didn’t see all the official logos at the top of Rob’s post? Was it possible that those tipped you off about the slashes?

1 Like

They don’t show up in the Show Full Post version.

2 Likes

Because they were so kind to Re/code

2 Likes

I think I would see it, but of course that first impression was forever spent by having seen the official version first.

You have cursed us all. ://

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m wondering if it’s selling me an energy drink, a body spray, or carbon fiber body kit.

4 Likes

A body spray made from energy drink, so you can tell that you’re downwind of a douchebro.

4 Likes