MTV reviving Daria and Aeon Flux

They basically decided that Jodie wasn’t on the show enough.

1 Like

wait… mtv still exists?

8 Likes

Replacing Mainframe with The Cloud would be sacrilegious. In general, most of the 90’s computer references would age extremely poorly.

I remember enjoying ReBoot, but I’m afraid to revisit it in case it actually sucked.

2 Likes

I’d watch it if they went back to what they are supposed to do – show music videos! They are Music Television And HBO shouldn’t bother with shows either but show movies – they are Home Box Office. And The Learning Channel was actually educational once upon a time. All these channels forgot what they were about!

2 Likes

Sounds like they’re going to try to go for a clear distinct plot as well.

2 Likes

… and Gale Anne Hurd (The Walking Dead, Fear the Working Dead) …

Ahhh! The Working Dead! Coming not only for our brains, but our jobs! I knew it!

1 Like

Goddammit. Aeon Flux is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, specifically because there was a very deliberate deconstruction of action movie tropes and character motivations underneath all that eye-popping art; the movie was, in Peter Chung’s own words, a “travesty”, because it dragged his very thoughtful critique of the genre back down to lie with its most vacuous examples. If this reboot has even the first glimmer of the genius underlying the original it will be one of the most shocking developments in the history of entertainment.

Anyone with the first interest in Aeon Flux or what made it tick should go read this 2006 interview with freshly-outraged Peter Chung - it’s long but incredibly lucid, and explodes any argument that the show was ever “uninspired”.

3 Likes

There’s going to be new MAXX comics.

2 Likes

If you ignore the all the cartoons and view the live action Aeon Flux movie as wholly separate thing, it’s actually a pretty good sf flick. The photography, featuring loads of weird Berlin architecture, is gorgeous.

5 Likes

Also, the live action movie prompted the release of the complete cartoon series as a 3 DVD box, IIRC, so there’s that.

2 Likes

It’s been so long that they regularly played videos, it’s hard to pinpoint when they went away. I’m thinking early 90’s, when groups like Enigma, Londonbeat, Roxette were all big. When I think of a music video on MTV I have to go back that far.

1 Like

I think you could still find videos there in the late '90s, but the reality shows (and such) were definitely taking over.

3 Likes

That’s probably true. It seems like “The Real World” ruined it all. Also, I’d like to point out that VH1 used to be a music video station too, more like a grown-up version of MTV, and that went down hill too. .

3 Likes

Don’t get me started on A&E…

2 Likes

3 words:

the “Learning” Channel.

2 Likes

Aeon Flux is my favorite mute anorexic strappy-thong-wearing superhero of all time.

2 Likes

I remember Aeon Flux. I always thought they were cool shorts, but was there a plot or just a never ending, ongoing gun battle. I also don’t remember the sound track music being so crappy. An ex girlfriend introduced me to a Hentai show called Noir about two young girls who where secret agents or something. I don’t think there was an end game, just running gun battles and lots of blood. They were similar.

I remember they started as really short clips and then I believe they extended them to 10-15 minutes? There is only so much of that type of ‘no end game’ one can take.

YOU KILLED MY HOSTAGE!

1 Like

The old Daria episodes have recently been added to Hulu. Go watch!

I wish more people watched Clone High. That was a show!

2 Likes