MTV reviving Daria and Aeon Flux

Uh, Noir was nothing close to hentai. It also totally had a plot.

Didn’t they have to strip out all of the licensed music?

I think that’s one of the more brilliant things about the show that gives it a shot at “timelessness”. It’s authoritarianism vs anarchy, in an epic eternal struggle. Pretty much the human condition.

I hope it’s an adult version. Leave teen Daria alone. The reasons the show worked as well as it did I’m not sure is possibly at this moment- ironic detachment is unfashionable these days, earnestness is in, and that ain’t Daria.

This is the only reboot I want to see, and honestly it’s criminal that it wasn’t actually made.

4 Likes

Came to say this. Daria really doesn’t make as much sense set in today’s world. Heck, it barely made sense by the time I was in high school in the early 2000s.

I LOVED Aeon Flux. I even have two animations cells from the show. Not quite so certain how a live action would work. I mean, it could, but it was so weird and surreal at times, that I think the animation fits it better.

Fun Fact: One reason for Aeon’s exaggerated, lanky style was Peter Chung was working on Rugrats at the time, and tired of squat characters.

1 Like

The original Aeon Flux that aired on Liquid TV were 5-10 minute shorts. Run and gun, endless war, copious amounts of blood and endless ammo. Later on with the popularity of Beavis & Butthead MTV made Aeon in a half hour show with a plot. It’s interesting and has its moments but it is pretty much impossible to keep up the adrenaline of the shorts in a half hour format. The live action movie feels more like watching an extended episode instead of one of the shorts. While the movie Sucker Punch feels like an attempt to combine the two into a workable solution.

I was 15-16 watching Liquid TV and it makes me sad that my sons will probably not get to experience anything like it. Sure there is Adult Swim, but LTV came on at 7:30… Obviously Aeon Flux was one of my favorite segments, but this is also where I saw Mike Judge’s Milton character for Office Space. The one skit that I think stuck with me the most was Elvis meets the Spider People from Hell.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.