'Multiple Fatalities' in Florida Mass Shooting: Suspect in Custody, 20+ Injured at Parkland's Stoneman Douglas High School

Died in committee:

By the time Sandy Hook rolled around, the Dems had lost the Senate and, although there was popular support for some (any) gun control, Mitch McConnell neglected to bring any proposed bills up for a vote.

8 Likes

GOP donor refuses to give more money to Republicans over gun control

https://nyti.ms/2C44JMt

“I will not write another check unless they all support a ban on assault weapons,” he wrote. “Enough is enough!”

Money talks. We shall see how far this goes.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Now that’s a horse of a different color!

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/964187856641040384

3 Likes

Some woman buys four guns in order to sell them to people she knows are gang members with felony backgrounds. one of those guns is used by the gang member to kill a cop.
The max punishment for willingly transferring a firearm to a felon is 10 years in federal prison and up to $250,000 per violation. So, did the woman get the maximum penalty of 40 years and One Million dollars fine? No, she got probation. That happens a lot, so there is little deterrence to keep people from running guns for the gangs.

Some nutjob announces, in his own name, his intention to shoot up some schools. he puts it on the internet in several places, and tells some people in person. People report the threats and conduct to the FBI and local law enforcement. He is already familiar to the local cops. They have been called to the Cruz residence 39 times, for all sorts reasons. Seems like a candidate for an intervention. But no. Even when a friend informs the authorities that Cruz has gotten hold of some guns, and plans to shoot up a school, no reaction

Just keeping in mind those two examples, and looking at the protests and statements happening this week, it looks to me like the consensus to deal with the horror in Florida is to pass some laws that would primarily serve to prevent farmers in Oklahoma from owning the wrong kind of rifles.

Amazing how many people forget that the worst act of domestic terrorism in the history of our country was carried out by a veteran who fancied himself some kind of “patriot.”

7 Likes

Jesus Christ. Trump has already started painting himself as the REAL victim of the latest mass shooting:

11 Likes

I hate to tell you this, but

Hey, remember when we were patting dudes on the back for having the strength of their convictions to stand outside the status quo? Maybe homeboy could get behind manufacturer liability?

Didn’t he appoint the current FBI Director? Remember when the President had a sign on his desk that said “The buck stops here”? Not anymore, it seems.

6 Likes

You are right, Oklahoma farmers wanting to own quick-killing weapons may be the real victims in this whole mess. What do they need them for, anyway? What do they do with them that they can’t do with a normal hunting rifle?

7 Likes

Regrettably, vets are significantly overrepresented amongst mass shooters. And J/ROTC involvement is a very common attribute of school/college shooters.

Militarism, imperialism and the arms industry are not diversions from this issue; they’re at the core of it.

7 Likes

Fully aware of that, thanks.

Have I ever said anything to imply that Bernie Sanders is perfect? From the perspective of the radical left, Bernie is merely the least obnoxious of the compromise candidates.

7 Likes

Unbelievable. It’s the community’s fault. It’s the D’s fault. It’s all blame and shame.

Meanwhile, I don’t see him stepping up to actually fix anything. Isn’t that what a leader is supposed to do?

R’s control Congress and the executive. Why aren’t they “solving” DACA? (Which is a problem of his own making.) Why aren’t his people “solving” gun control? This is a great time to show those Democrats how it’s done now that his party holds all the power.

He blames “obstructionist Democrats” and then absolutely refuses to compromise despite being a self proclaimed master deal maker.

Who’s “all talk” now?

13 Likes

Semiauto hunting rifles are seen as normal hunting rifles. Have been for decades. But AR-style rifles are the main tool for dealing with invasive wild hogs.
But I did not say that farmers are the real victims at all. That is disingenuous. And it makes sense, in the aftermath of horror, to do something. But it should be something that actually helps solve the problem.

I’ve always said that an exception to a ban on high-powered semi-auto rifles and ammo for civilians should be made to allow farmers and ranchers to own a limited number of them, as long as they have a license for industrial use. There’s already a licensing system for controlled and dangerous substances that are needed in industry but that have no place in most businesses or homes.

An AR-style hunting rifle is just unsportsmanlike, though – that they’ve been seen as normal for decades is just a shameful commentary on the effectiveness of the marketing efforts of the manufacturers and the NRA. The relatively small number of Americans who depend on game hunting for food aren’t getting much added benefit from a semi-auto or AR–style weapon.

10 Likes

that’s along the lines of what we did for farm chemicals when my dad and i had a 1000 tree peach orchard. we held private applicator licenses and that allowed us to purchase pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, etc. which private individuals had no real need for. on the whole, it wasn’t terribly difficult to get one–54 hours of workshops, a written exam, and being able to demonstrate another 12 hours of continuing education per year after the first year.

9 Likes

Don’t you think that removing easy access to quick-killing weapons would help to reduce the carnage?

How do farmers deal with wild hogs in other countries? According to this website: http://wildpiginfo.msstate.edu/hunting-wild-pigs.html, shooting them doesn’t seem to be the most effective way of dealing with the wild hog problem.

7 Likes

12 Likes