Museum visitor injured after stepping into pit he thought was a painting on the floor

Christ, what an art-hole.

4 Likes

When I moved to London many many years ago, I moved into a place with a friend of mine. We went looking for furniture and wandered into a high-end furniture shop where they had Philippe Starck bar stools. My mate decided to try out sitting on one, and one of the assistants came over and said “you can’t sit on that, sir”. “Why not?” my friend asked. “Philippe didn’t intend for these to be actually used - they are functional art”.

I’m not sure which bit was the craziest - the fact that my mate wasn’t allowed to sit on them even though the assistant described them as “functional art”, or the fact that he referred to Philippe Starck as “Philippe” implying they went down the pub every friday together.

10 Likes

Nah. He’s hoping (correctly) that the controversy will distract people from the fact that he’s a shitty artist.

2 Likes

Its Hot Black Desatio’s bottomless pit. complete with a black on black escape hatch which you can’t see.

3 Likes

“If they aren’t meant to be sat on, why the fuck are you selling them in your furniture shop?”

And as you say, surely if they aren’t meant to be sat on then they are non-functional art!

2 Likes

Christ, what a blackhole!

@Hanglyman

I keep imagining the equivalent of a Magic Eye picture surrounding by warning signs that, once you adjust your eyes properly, turns out to be a fist that immediately socks you in the face.

You just reminded me a all “Call of C’thulhu” scenerio I wrote years ago for some RPG playing friends. That featured a Magic Eye picture that resolved in to an image of something sanity blasting.

1 Like

Guardian:

The 1992 work is a cube-shaped structure which small numbers of visitors enter. Once inside, they encounter a black hole which they are warned not to go near.

The museum said visitors had to sign a disclaimer acknowledging the safety risk. There are also warning signs and a member of staff inside the cube.

The same Guardian article has a photo of Doris Salcedo’s 2007 installation ‘Shibboleth’ at the Tate Modern, where they really did cut a huge crack into the floor of the Turbine Hall; though filled in, it’s still visible 11 years later.

3 Likes

and

I worked for a museum once. No sympathy here … let’s hope that was an learning opportunity for this guy. There are few things making me more furious than people trying to touch priceless artifacts in a museum that are clearly not meant to be fondled by clueless idiots.

If I knew the visitor personally, I would probably text this to him every day for at least a month.

“I could not foresee this thing happening to you…”

This is part of why I don’t have friends.

5 Likes

I wanna see the Mission Impossible version where they paint the inside of the ultra secure vault with vantablack and Tom Cruise keeps bumping into walls, then craters after miscalculating his autorappell distance.

4 Likes

I mean it’d be a legit way to secure a room

1 Like

Just find a Pantone™ chart that goes to 11.

It’s not really rights to a color, it’s rights to be able to use a material (which is requires a proprietary process to make) as an artistic medium.

And just because I love this gif:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.