Music made from industrial noises

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/05/music-made-from-industrial-noi.html

2 Likes

Nine Inch Nails and Ministry did it better.

Einstürzende Neubauten!

11 Likes

1 Like

Number nine…
Number nine…
Number nine…

8 Likes

This is well done, but (ignoring the examples above) people have been doing this exact style of music for at least ten years-- I remember a release at (the now closed) Aquarius Records that was someone sampling only stuff he/she found at the landfill and turning it into a rhythmic track similar to what these guys did.

(And if you’re hitting a concrete barrier with your fist, is it the concrete that’s producing the sound, or your own flesh?)

2 Likes

Another example – pretty much anything from Amon Tobin:

5 Likes

Yeah, that was alright.
In my day we’d a called it disco (meaning bad, like Skinny Puppy).

Now I like disco. (not Skinny Puppy though, more like, well, any other disco).

1 Like

And Throbbing Gristle did it better…

Scratch that, Shostakovich and Grofe did it better…

Kids, lawn, mumble, mumble…

12 Likes

YES! You beat me to it. I’ve enjoyed plenty of sampler based industrial music since but to me it was always second to EN.

When NIN’s Pretty Hate Machine came out it signaled to me the death of industrial with EN on one end of the spectrum and NIN at the other end, fully commercialized ready to be consumed at the mall and TV ads for dish soap. Obviously I over reacted and I appreciate how Trent has grown since then. But at the time it threw me into full on despair.

About the OP song I like it. Nothing ground breaking but very enjoyable. I will check out more from the band for sure.

4 Likes

Really? People were using samplers and Ableton control pads in the 70’s? Wow.

Like I said “ignoring the examples above”, meaning TG, Neubauten, NIN and other early industrial musicians, people using samplers to create music out of industrial sounds is cool but not new. @Boundegar citing Pierre Schaeffer is probably the most accurate, but even that stuff sounds nothing like the track/video here.

I really don’t think this is anything like early industrial music. At all. It just happens to use industrial sources for the sounds. You may as well say Depeche Mode’s “Construction Time Again” is industrial since they used samples of common objects as their sound palette.

See also David Van Tieghem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX5BJHmotD4

Nine Inch Nails & Ministry were most likely influenced by Einstürzende Neubauten, the West German industrial noise group who influenced many 80’s-90’s groups such as Nitzer Ebb, Depeche Mode, and Frontline Assembly.

1 Like

Interesting that you mention that DM album because they were hanging out with Einstürzende Neubauten during that period and have said in interviews that EN heavily influenced their sound during that period.

1 Like

I’m a purist:

4 Likes

Sorry.

Didn’t mean to come off like a pedantic jerk.

Yeah. But I can’t really consider their music “industrial” in the sense of the style that connects Throbbing Gristle to Neubauten to all the 80’s Wax Trax artists and then NIN. Miles Davis once cited Willie Nelson as an influence (no fooling), but we wouldn’t call Miles “country.”

Honestly, when all the 80’s industrial dance music came out, I felt weird calling it industrial, and I flat out considered NIN to be “pop” music, but with hindsight I can give them all a pass-- TG’s “Hot On The Heels of Love” is a catchy dance tune, after all.

1 Like

Look up Throbbing Gristle. Pioneers of Industrial Music.

6 Likes

I like it.

2 Likes