Musk fancies himself an Ayn Randian superhero, so naturally, he'll blame others for Twitter's downfall

Originally published at: Musk fancies himself an Ayn Randian superhero, so naturally, he'll blame others for Twitter's downfall | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This is one of the many reasons it’s usually a bad idea to let a Libertarian run a business.

More of today’s 5D chess movies from the god-emperor:

22 Likes

For a guy who believes in Longtermism, he has a hard time seeing past his own nose.

15 Likes

Oh, he can think in the long term, but only if the long term turns out to be exactly what he wishes it were right now. Any deviation from that
'vision" proves that he’s an idiot who can’t cope with reality.

9 Likes

Obligs:

19 Likes

Cobra Commander examines Rand “heroes” and finds they are pathetic villains.

“How did you guys conquer the world if the guys you’re up against are all smarter than you?”

9 Likes

Dang, this sounds incredibly plausible, and a lot of his dupes would believe that it was only government interference that brought him down, too, all evidence to the contrary being ignored.

I’m still hoping that he’ll be remembered as the John Galt of the 21st century because he’ll fly off to some secluded valley, isolate himself from the rest of society in the belief that we’ll be desperate for him back, and we’ll never hear from him again.

Plus the checkmarks that don’t tell you what they are and if the person is who they say they are, and basic functionality like the information showing something was retweeted not appearing, so “following” streams are full of what seem like random tweets by non-followed people. I’m not sure if this breakdown of functionality is because Twitter is coming apart, or it was deliberate (so the algorithm can insert more ads/tweets by Nazis and people can’t tell where it came from). Either way, Twitter gets more broken by the day.

15 Likes

Until someone stumbles across the remains.

10 Likes

… I thought that was John McAfee :thinking:

17 Likes

If he ever gets around to attempting to colonize Mars, I expect it’ll be the Mariner Valley. The real question will be if he died of asphyxiation, radiation, dehydration, starvation, or a peasant uprising. Sadly, a mission to go see what finally ended his attempt to out-Galt John Galt would probably be too costly and lack any real scientific merit to justify it, so we would not know for many, many years.

6 Likes

The moral calculus gets easy when you load the scales with those assumed trillions of people.

You can be like Ozymandias in The Watchmen, kill off millions of people, but that’s okay because you can assert that you saved the future people without having to prove it.

eta: And Musk really does think that way. Racism is fine if it’ll save billions from hypothetical contrived nuclear war.

14 Likes

That reminds me, he’s also setting up the schmuck from The Boring Company to take over as CEO/fall guy by the end of the year, right before Twitter crashes out.

11 Likes

Waves vaguely at all the rich tech idiots, “Off to Galt’s gulch with ye!”

He won’t (because it’s impossible to survive the trip and he’s not even interested in that particular problem), so sadly we’ll never get to see his failed Mars colony. :frowning:

“Here, take this!” [hands over flaming bag of dog poop]

6 Likes

Oh my God, that’s funny stuff!

I read Atlas Shrugged as a teenager, and I spent a couple years being even stupider than usual as a result. I wish this critique had existed back then.

12 Likes

I saw he replaced the Twitter logo with Doge for a while today. Is that, like, his idea of the prefect April Fool’s day joke - having it not on April 1st?

5 Likes

Cold shudder at that name.

“John McAfee has never been convicted of rape and murder, but—crucially—not in the same way that you or I have never been convicted of rape or murder.” - Laurie Penny

18 Likes

22 Likes

That quote always gets a smile from me.

10 Likes

He thinks he’s Howard Roark and is blowing up twitter?

10 Likes

In 1928, just two years after Ayn Rand arrived in the U.S. from Soviet Russia and settled in Los Angeles, she scribbled diary notes in her brand-new language that formed a story she called The Little Street. Its protagonist, Danny Renahan, is modeled on a real-life Los Angeles murderer, 19-year-old William Hickman, who strangled and dismembered a girl in a kidnapping-for-ransom gone awry.

In her notebooks, Rand makes a hero of both Hickman and the fictional Renahan, who murders a church pastor instead of a child, and extols the killers’ beautiful souls

Review: Ayn Rand’s Ideal | Time

5 Likes